Attracting sharks with sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh yes, the ol' water bottle trick......

It is very impressive, those sharks will turn on a dime.

It makes me nervous because they get so frenzied. I have been "begging" with my face for those dive guides to knock it off...

They say that it is the vibration or shudder of the plastic that emulates that of a dying, thrashing fish more than the sound.

I routinely dive with guys that smell like fish guts and I notice that I see a lot of sharks when they are around as compared to divers with "virgin" wetsuits.

I hate them. I love them.

My daughter knows a girl who lost her arm surfing and she told me they were playing around, making shrill high pitched dolphin sounds when the shark hit.

So...I try not to do that.

Well gall darned it! That's what the DM was doing squeezing a plastic water bottle underwater in Roatan!!!:D :D He also had some rice in it, to feed some fish... But I didn't catch on about the bottle for attracting fish! Doh!:D Even though there were no sharks there (they very rarely see any where we were diving), it worked for some giant sized groupers and morays that came out to play!

I had never heard of this. Ya learn something every day!!!:14:

Have already tried the bottle method on bull sharks, but I heard some shark diving operators use an electronic thing (i.e. box/machine) that gives off the right sound waves for attracting blue sharks and makos. Just wondering if there's a commercially available gadget or if the unit is just a home made speaker which gives off sounds recorded of struggling prey.

But for those of you who did use the bottle, were there any shark species it did not work with?

One of my good friends was on a Great White dive in Guadelupe and the boat would put underwater speakers in to attract the sharks......They said they Hate Rap music and Latin music.....but the love Rock.....they continually play Sweet Emotions by Aerosmith to attract the Whites.....I guess they really like it....He told me it was a stellar experience witnessing the whites and listening to that song.........He has a video of the trip and plays Sweet Emotions for a pic part of it and its incredible......So grab your IPOD and try it :D

Mike.... I don't have a cage, so ..... um - no. I think I'll give it a miss. Personally, I'm not real keen on being in the water with a Great white or Tiger shark. :wink:

When I go up north where the Grey Nurse (sand tiger I believe you guys call them) are, it might be worth a try. (Although wouldn't the bottle make more noise than an ipod)?

I wanna try out this water bottle thing. Give me more details.

Do you shake the half-filled bottle any, or is it just squeezing that's required?

How hard to you squeeze it? Squeeze it till it cracks the bottle open?

Does it matter if you squeeze the bottle upside down?

Great, now I need to take another thing down. gonna have to fill the bottle with small lead weights to make it less bouyant...

Z...

just squeeze the crap out of it. you can also rub a metal rod up and down on it quickly.

Make sure you take the cap off at depth and get more air in there so it is rigid.
Some sharks like it, others completely ignore it.

will try it for the next dive at shelly - see if it works with Dusky Whalers...

Not that they are hard to find..

Back
Top Bottom