Ice Diving Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LINKINmark

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody can give me a suggestion on a good regulator for regular ice diving? There are many out there that claim to be environmental sealed. But I'd rather get some suggestions from first hand experience. Any recommendations???

I have used the Mares Proton Ice Extreme and Abyss and they have never freeflowed on me. They breath great and there made of metal so theres more moisture. Plus the really really light and small second stage (they look cool too):) Ive also used an Apex 50,100 and there great. I would increase the INP because it is really low. But anywhoo. I hope i could help

Sherwood Blizzard is pretty popular in the Great Lakes...i have one myself and have used it in 40F degree water with no problems. I've even seen it in pics being used in Antartica ice diving.

Cheers.

-j.-

I know a lot of guys, including myself that love Zeagles for cold water, any of the environmentally sealed models. I use the ZX-DSV, my instructor has been using Oceanics for years, again all with dry sealed first stages, and has never had a problem under the ice.

I use the Scubapro Mk 17 as it is (really) fully sealed and incorporates heat transfer fins on the exterior of the ambient chamber.

Cold water testing has been done with it at high flow rates at 160' depth and it was the only reg in the test group that did not freeze flow during the 200 minute test.

I have personally used it ice diving with no problems at all. I have also used it extensively on longer and deeper technical dives in water temps as low as the mid thirties with no issues.

I have also used the Scubapro MK 2 and as long as you don't abuse it (excessive inflating and/or simultaneous breathing, breathing on it above water, etc,) it also does very well ice diving.

The Scubapro Mk 16 is not sealed, but has a very open ambient chamber with excellent water flow and it is also very reliable in cold water and was the choice of several PSD teams in the area who were seeking an ice diving capable regulator. However since it has been discontinued and replaced by the sealed Mk 17, the MK 16 is hard to find and unless you get a killer deal on it, the Mk 17 is the way to go.

Which second stage do you prefer for cold water at 3 Celcius=37 Fahrenheit
Scubapro S600 or X650
And what about the Atomic Aquatics (also which model, both their 1st and 2nd are very similar)?

I second the Sherwood Blizzard!! This has been my favorite by far in a long line of regulators....slimline, durable, easy to work on, and moisture pak(love this) The moisture pak prevents you from ending a dive and having a dry mouth.....EVERY reg should have this......

http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=86_90&products_id=432

I have a special this month....buy a reg take half off any octo or octo inflator......

never a problem with my apeks atx200's.
one of my buddies routinely uses his sherwood blizzard w/ no issues.
testing out the aqualung ledgend supreme and the one in my profile pic this year. :wink:

I've been kind of asking this too in the Most Versatile Regulator, and it does look like Scuba Pro, Dive Rite, and Sherwood are making some nice products. Are you looking for something for dedicated ice diving, or something that might be used in other scenarios.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom