Noob question on electrolysis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GulfDiver77

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
How do you make an electrolysis machine? I am new to this so I thought I'd ask

Nothing yet but I am getting into wreck diving and such and was wanting to know so when I do find something.

Lets see, you'll need a power supply of some sort (DC), I wouldn't use batteries as they will heat up if used in this way. You'll need a container filled with salty water and an electrode of the metal you want to plate the object with.
Put the object you want to electroplate on the cathode (negative terminal) and the metal you want to plate it with on the anode (positive terminal), place these two metal terminals into the salty water and turn on the power.
Make sure you do this in a well ventilated area

Give it a go with an old key, if you add some salt, you'll be amazed how fast it gets plated

plating.jpg

Ah the wonders of GCSE physics!

Thanks for the Information. I have acess to all kinds of copper since I am a plumber.Would a car battery charger work for the DC power source?

I use a battery charger and it has worked well for removing rust and other encrusted stuff off of an iron bolt that had been underwater almost 90 years. I would use some kind of steel instead of copper. I'm using an old lawnmower blade, but rebar is a more popular choice. You want to keep it outside because it releases hydrogen. My wife barely tolerates my obsession now, she would definetly put her foot down if I blew up the garage. Good luck finding stuff. If you are anything like me, you will start collecting stuff that you wouldn't look twice at a yard sale.

Andrew

LOL I know what you mean my wife would definetly put her foot down if I blew the garage up too.She'd probably make me sleep in the dog house. Thanks for that advice too I can get rebar fairly easy too.And yes my wife already says I'm a packrat.But my motto is "I never know when I'll need that".

Check out treasurenet.com they have tons of info for preserving what you find. They have plans for a simple setup using a cell phone charger that works great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom