Help please on OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mnmike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will try to keep this brief. i completed all of my classroom requirements for PADI in Dec of 2005. I have completed 2 of my cert dives in Jan but had to stop after puncturing my eardrum. I have clearance from my EMT to continue my diving. My question is do I start over on my OW dives? Do I have to take the classroom and confined portion of my training agian due to the length of time? Thanks for all of your input.

PADI, you have a year after the Classroom/pool to take your OWDs.

I would speak to the LDS that you were taking the course through. If they seem fishy about it, call the certifying agency (ie. PADI, Naui, SDI etc..)
S.

PADI is one year from the last section of whatever has been completed. So in your case January.

However I would probably get you to join an existing course in the pool after the time period you are talking about. I would also get you to run through the quick review quiz used for the advanced course/refresher to see what knowledge you remember.

Alternatively I would run through a Refresher Course in the Pool with you, probably at an extra cost, and then complete the final open water dives at no cost if I were the original dive shop you paid for the course.

The Refresher runs through all the PADI Skills you did in your confined water.

Talk to the shop where you got trained. Any honest place would allow you to sit in an existing class with for no extra $. Of course any "per dive"/gear rental fees would still apply.

I agree with everyone else. I would think your LDS would get you going again real easily. But yes, you should have to do some refreshing... it'll be worth it anyway cuz you'll be safer when you are in the Open Water.

Good Luck, I ruptured my ear-drum a few years back. I had to be out of the water for a whole month. I'm glad you're getting back into diving.

Also, make sure that the situation that caused you to rupture your ear drum is fixed. Was it a problem equalizing? If so, you may want to make real sure you can do that properly before getting back into the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom