Putting my OW skills to the test!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BioNerd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Wow, so today my buddy and i decided to dive Crescent bay. Entering was a breeze and the swell was around 1 foot. However, after about 10 minutes of diving, the swell apparently picked up and we were getting worked by the oncoming surge. So around thirty minutes into the dive, i call it and we surface. As we surfaced my buddy got sick and threw up about 4 times. He got sick from the surge and was dizzy and nausious. So in about 3-4 foot swells, i had to use the "tired divers tow" on him and draged him all the way to shore. He was so bad he couldn't get up and crawled to shore while i got slammed by a couple of waves (no biggie) making sure he was ok. I got a little nervous but stayed pretty calm thanks to my surfing background and those skills i learned from the class. I think we learned our lesson, no more big swell days.
kiet

Hi Kiet,
Nice going I bet your buddy appreciates you skills.

Happy Diving
John

Good job!!
Feels great to have the skill and calm to help someone out.
Keep learning and practicing your rescue skills. I ran a fire dapt water rescue for several years and I feel like I am always learning. It's an ongoing process (diving) and that's one of the things that makes this sport so fun. Always something new to see/learn. I love it!! Once again... Congrats on a good save!!

Hey congrats.

I had to tow a diver half a klik to a boat once in 2 meter swells after he wore himself out against a particularly nasty current in phuket. Its such a great feeling when you know you put your skills to use and help someone out :)

keep working on those skills and once again, congrats on a save well executed :D

Beej

GREAT JOB!!!! You should consider going further with your education so you can build on those skills as well. Looks like you already have what it takes and can remain calm!!!

Yeah, it felt really good helping someone. I plan full heartedly to keep advancing to instructor. That's one thing about diving that i love, unlike all my other sports and hobbies, you will keep seeing new things and keep learning new techniques.
kiet

Good job with doing the right thing!

I had a very similar experience with my girlfriend when we first started diving. We were at shaws and had just make it through the surf zone (about 3'). she inflated her BC and there apearently was a shallow cut that burst open when it came under a load. She wasn't able to stay afloat comfortably so she headed in. She got pummeled pretty good and we had to dump her weights then once up in the surf zone I uncliped her BC and drug her to shore. She was shaken up but went at it again with a new BC. That sure tought us to A.) not rent gear, and B.) pay very close attention to the surf and set interval.

Yea not paying attention to those intervals will get you everytime.

Happy Divng
John

Great job on getting your buddy out. I too had some close calls like that many times,

You have good instinct.

:wave-smil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom