Keeping warm between dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Colder (cooler to the northerners:D ) weather is now upon us here in KY. I have been doing some dry suit diving, but was wondering, what are the tricks to keeping warm between dives on the surface intervals. Right now I have to use thick wetsuit gloves & I use a neoprene dry suit hood. That means when I get out of the water my hands & head are wet. The quarries usually have drafty changing sheds or if we are in a remote area, someone will have an enclosed trailer in which we will put a portable propane heater. I still find myself quite cool for a while after the dive. I'm looking of ideas to get & keep myself warmer between the dives.

Get out of the drysuit. Water drying off it cools you.

Use a good warm hat. Keeping your head warm really helps keep your body warm. I would add to that, hands and feet.

Drink warm liquids.

Up north, where I was diving in the snow last week, we all kept our dry suits on. Put some air in them and closed the release valve. Stayed nice and warm. Keeping the dry suit on will keep the wind from getting to you. One big wind and rain/water proof body jacket.

Take a towel with you to dry your hands and head and stay zipped up. (I also have the dry glove.) Have a hat handy and some gloves to.

Hot drinks do wonders also though mostly I just drink room temperature water.

Thanks all. I'll definately look into one of those parkas. The dry suit came with a heavy jacket along with light & heavy under garments that I use when I can. I do also bring hats, towels & blankets to wrap up in. I also try to stay reasonably, but not too close to the heater.

Well, first off T-Storm, Kentucky IS north, so what do you mean by "those northerners"? Second T-Storm, to stay warm, move south.
And hey, is that a picture of you in your new suit? Like the blue, looks nice.

Carribeandiver:
Well, first off T-Storm, Kentucky IS north, so what do you mean by "those northerners"? Second T-Storm, to stay warm, move south.
And hey, is that a picture of you in your new suit? Like the blue, looks nice.

I think she means us.

tstorm...You're getting cold in a drysuit? Never heard of it:D. Thoroughly dry your head with towel and put on a winter hat and gloves. I've been driving home in my wetsuit for the last couple of dives so I didnt have to get changed outside.

Get a drysuit with an attached latex hood and put your mask skirt over the edges--you get out with dry hair and it's MUCH warmer :D

Get dry gloves if a new suit (mine's a Viking Xtreme) isn't an option, dry gloves are WELL worth the cost. Mine increased my comfort level so much I didn't even get cold on the SI when I skipped the hat and my hair was frozen into icicles.
Ber :lilbunny:

Warm hat, lose the neoprene gloves and get some dry gloves. Inflate drysuit a bit while on the surface.

to stay warm, move south.
What great advice :)

I think its pretty simple. The least technological way to do it is: warm Drinks and have a nice warm hat to put on. Make sure you dry off your head and hands.

I like the suggestions of inflating the dry-suit, I hadn't thought of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom