Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
boulderjohn:
As I read thse posts, I was reminded of this. I saw over and over and over again where people are taking their information about what evolution from people who are against it. These people, as my former student learned, use the straw man fallacy as their most common reasoning technique. That is, the misrepresent the opposing argument in order to shoot it down. Most, I suspect, do not do this on purpose; they honestly believe they are telling the truth, for they have been deluded themselves.
Yeah - unfortunately, I've seen this a lot in many of the creationist biased web sites. While they often bring up some good points that could be 'used' in their arguments, they are so far buried in the 'anti-evolution' misrepresentations that most folks have stopped reading long before they get there.
boulderjohn:
So I ask everyone: where did you get your information? Can you be sure that what you "know" is true and accurate?
Mine came from my college education and subsequent reading. While I fully agree with the parts of the evolution process that have actually been observed, much of what has been extrapolated left even the atheist that was working on a 'Biological Sciences' degree with more questions than answers. Now that I've got that 'BS' degree, there are still more questions than answers.
And no, the Creation story doesn't answer them all, but it fills in more of the blanks than the ToE does :D

H2Andy:
i used to teach college.

after i stopped teaching college, i realized i didn't know as much as i thought i did.

now that i am in a different field, i remind myself constantly that i dont know as much as i think i know.

keep your ears open. you might hear something that may get you thinking. and thinking is the most dangerous thing anyone can do.

Not sure I followed this reply to my post.

Did you have a problem with something I said in it?

boulderjohn:
Did you have a problem with something I said in it?

nah, just popped into my head... we all know far less than we think we do

H2Andy:
again, thank you!

yeah, i came to the US when i was 13 and learned English here ... took me about two years to be really fluent, but i could get by in about five months... kids just pick languages up fast

Where did you move from? I wondered if it was Cuba, since it was the topic of your blog.

H2Andy:
nah, just popped into my head... we all know far less than we think we do

No doubt. I think that is what I tried to teach my students more than anything. Where did You get that information? Do you really know if it is accurate?

In this thread I have seen many instances of people making decisions about things they really don't know a lot about. In terms of logic, the fallacies have been flying. I mentioned the straw man fallacy. That has been the most common by far. To repeat, in a straw man argument, the speaker attacks an opposing position that does actually exist, creating an opposing argument that is easy to defeat. That is the position that my student was so taken by. He thought evolution was a foolish notion until got past the straw man arguments and read the actual concept for himself.

There have been oodles more. The next most common has been the Argument from ignorance http://www.fallacyfiles.org/ignorant.html:

"How can they know this is true?"

"I don't see how this can be true."

"This theory has not been 100% proven in every detail, so it is false."

"This argument cannot be proven 100% false, so it is true."

DiverBry:
Where did you move from? I wondered if it was Cuba, since it was the topic of your blog.

yeppers.... at the risk of self-publication, here's a video (mercifuly short) i started working on about me coming from Cuba:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBO4PPdETVk

(please don't be too harsh.. i'm an amateur at this stuff... just trying to learn)

H2Andy:
yeppers.... at the risk of self-publication, here's a video (mercifuly short) i started working on about me coming from Cuba:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBO4PPdETVk

(please don't be too harsh.. i'm an amateur at this stuff... just trying to learn)

Thanks for sharing the link... looks very well done. Hey, gotta run.... the baby needs me.

I'm looking forward to watching the other parts.

scubafool:
Yeah, and we haven't been able to get him to stop talking ever since.:D

i don't know what language you folk speak down there in Lake County, but it ain't the Queen's English

:rofl3:

It gets too serious in here :D - Let's relax and have some fun ...

Mine eyes have seen the Glory,
and sir Charlie doesn't surf.
His suit's polypropalene,
While mine is made of nerf.
He came to America
from far across the surf...

(someone else take if from here)

Andy, take it away .... :rofl3:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back