Buddy monogamy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RumBum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have pretty much always dove with the same person (my spouse) and we are thinking it is time to branch out for experience and learning purposes.

Thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of always diving with the same person?

My wife is a new diver. She is wild for diving right now. If she started to dive with others, I would probably worry myself silly. Although I miss not doing some of the deeper and more technical dives, I still would rather do easy dives with her than any thing else. I’m sure that after she gets more dives in, she will be ready for more fun stuff.

Dave

RumBum:
Thoughts on the advantages or disadvantages of always diving with the same buddy?

Polygamy with a better buddies is an acceptable practice. :D So much to learn from others. However, a best friend and competent diver is hard to beat combination.

X

Dang it, I tried to add a poll with this but I got a phone call and it timed out.
Please also indicate whether you:
-frequently (75-100% of the time) dive with the same buddy.
-you have a small group of regular buddies
-you just dive with whomever you can drag into the water...

if a mod sees this please feel free to make a poll of those 3 choices. thanks.

RumBum:
Thoughts on the advantages or disadvantages of always diving with the same buddy?

Advantage: Improved communications, ability to anticipate each other, compatible skill levels.

Disadvantage: Somewhat boring

Advantages would be the confort level of knowing how each of you dive and trusting each other. Communication should become easier as well.

Disadvantages, well the thought of having to dive with just one person for the rest of your life is (oh never mind that's marriage).

I learn a lot from other people on dive boats.

TOM

Advantage - you learn their style. You know what to expect, good and bad.

Disadvantage - you can become overly dependent on that person. Often regular dive buddies will fall into ruts - one becomes responsible for certain aspects of the dive and the other person for other aspects.

I recommend continuing to dive primarily with your spouse, but mix it up from time to time. You'll learn more and become a better diver as a result.

Besides a dive shop owner friend I have never dove with anyone more than once, I think its mainly because Im a traveling diver who is usually alone. I hope that changes one day but with my job its the best I can do to stay in the water and its not so bad meeting new people. Some are better divers than I and some are not. I enjoy learning and I learn teaching so it works out.

In college, I dove with a wide array of people. I was a "anyone I could get in the water" kind of person.... still am.

I like diving with my spouse though and I'm more comfortable. I'd suggest diving with another couple and once in a while pairing off and explore different areas with your counter-part in the other couple.

You'll get to see differences and you'll see where you were depending on your spouse, but you won't have to spend too much time away from the person you usually dive with.

www.scubamazing.com:
In college, I dove with a wide array of people. I was a "anyone I could get in the water" kind of person.... still am.

I like diving with my spouse though and I'm more comfortable. I'd suggest diving with another couple and once in a while pairing off and explore different areas with your counter-part in the other couple.

You'll get to see differences and you'll see where you were depending on your spouse, but you won't have to spend too much time away from the person you usually dive with.

Is that like scuba swinging? :D Sorry I couldn't keep my mind out of the gutter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom