Gear setup question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just got some new equipment and was going to set it up myself. My BC manual says to tighten the LP inflator hose into the first stage to 40 inch pounds. Does that tightness go for each of the other hoses as well (Octo, SPG, etc...)? Also, I just wanted to confirm: since the hoses have o-rings, I dont need to put anything on the threads for them to seal right? Thanks for your help.

I never knew there was an official tightness for LP hoses...I just screw them in and barely tighten them with a wrench until they "feel right"... I do the same with all of the hoses including HP.

The hoses will seal fine...you don't have to put anything on the threads..

O-ring once bubbled...
I never knew there was an official tightness for LP hoses...I just screw them in and barely tighten them with a wrench until they "feel right"... I do the same with all of the hoses including HP.

The hoses will seal fine...you don't have to put anything on the threads..

Most all fittings have a torque rating as it takes the guess work out of it, and creates uniformity. Egad, does that spell DIR?

A little silicone grease on the o-ring is helpful also.

MD

Actually some lube on the threads is a nice touch, that way the metal to metal connection does not seize and you will have a much easier time getting things apart again.

on one other note - if you have these questions about putting your stuff together - perhaps you should enlist the help of someone more experienced, just for good measure...

Cheers,
Terkel

You do not need to or want to lube the o-ring or the threads. The lube will just attract dirt. The o-ring seals with pressure. Just tighten by feel till its tight.

The Pirate once bubbled...
You do not need to or want to lube the o-ring or the threads. The lube will just attract dirt. The o-ring seals with pressure. Just tighten by feel till its tight.

The lube on the 0-ring can't attract dirt once it's together. Granted, you don't lube the ring then let it sit around for a day or two.

MD

Maybe you should pay somebody to do this for you that know's what to look for like IP. This is your life and you what to make sure it is working right. This is my 2-cents

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom