Advanced Wreck Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

egg007

Reaction score
i'm interested in doing a wreck course (non padi) in the US or Caribbean

Prefer 2 to 4 day course
Cost $200-500US

Must include wreck penetration.

I would like to do a course that would qualify me as a competant penetration wreck diver.

Water can't be too cold as I don't have a dry suit.

Prefer Eastern/sothern US as I live in the Caribbean

Please give me ideas on courses thks

I would go for GUE tech1 or simerlar cert, although GUE may want you to do more than 4 days. Check there website for details http://www.gue.com Good luck

Hey Frog,

One thing I have been wondering about; if a previously non-DIR diver wants to take a GUE/DIR course such as the one mentioned above, will he/she be required to completely re-gear to DIR specs or will they teach you in the gear you already own, ie; Zeagle Ranger BC versus Halcyon BPw/wings?

etc.,etc.,

Hmm i forgot about the gear side of things. Sorry then yes he/she would have to "upgrade" there gear to DIR. It is still worth concidering since i know a few people who have taken GUE course and tehy say that there training is head and shoulders above the rest. Maybe TDI or IANTD do some nice tech/wreck courses?

If I remember correctly, you have a total of 10 dives under your belt. No offense but, if my memory is correct, you are far from ready to begin learning wreck penetration. I'd recommend about 20 more dives before even beginning an advanced course, wreck penetration would come much later.

WWW™

You are right I want to get at least 10-20 dives under my belt first, but I want to look at a course in advance also before i try the Andrea Dorias!

OMG!!!

Someone call the monitor janitor... it's dripping with fresh sprayed coffee!!

Before you do what!!! Slow down there cowboy...going from the Open Water course to diving a deep wreck like the Doria takes time,training and experience...lots of it!

Egg,

I presumed that you were using hyperbole until I read Remora's comment. I am still assuming that you just want a little training before tackling some of the tamer wrecks! If not, slow down a bit and get some ow experience with bouyancy, breath control, etc. Diving a wreck when you are bouncing off walls and using air at an adrenalin-increased rate is not a lot of fun. Also, most advance wreck diving requires going into fairly poorly lit areas: even for experienced divers this can be a little unnerving!

Most AOW-type courses will include a wreck diving option, but, you can go a lot further if you know some VERY RELIABLE, SAFE, CONSCIENCIOUS friends who do such diving. They can lead through the steps. But they have to be patient with a novice!

There are lots of wrecks in the Caribbean that are not at all challenging from a technical perspective--but when you penetrate anything, you need to be aware of some basics--that is why a little training and advise and counsel are helpful.

Have fun!

joewr

I agree with Walter entirely, i didnt know you (egg) only had such limited experience.

Hey i was just kidding about diving the Andrea Dorias, I know its going to take years of effort.

Thanks for all the good advice so far. However in wreck diving the AD is like Mount Everest

Back
Top Bottom