Backup Regulator Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c555

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I just ordred a bp/w and am transitioning to a long hose. I have two questions about the backup regulator. First, what diameter bungee do you use to hold the backup aroung your neck and secondly how do you attach the regulator to the bungee. Thanks in advance!

c555:
Hi,
I just ordred a bp/w and am transitioning to a long hose. I have two questions about the backup regulator. First, what diameter bungee do you use to hold the backup aroung your neck and secondly how do you attach the regulator to the bungee. Thanks in advance!
3/16" or 1/8th - I've seen both (not sure which one is DIR and which is stroke).

Two ways to do it (not sure which one is DIR and which is stroke). Remove the zip tie that keeps the mouthpiece on the bkup reg. Tie a knot in each end of the bungee, lay it against the sides of the mouthpiece and replace the zip tie, securing the bungee.

The other way, you can see here: http://www3.sympatico.ca/chatterton/bungee.html

MonkSeal:
... which solves Rick's dilemma. :D
That's a load off... :wink:

Rick Inman:
3/16" or 1/8th - I've seen both (not sure which one is DIR and which is stroke).

Two ways to do it (not sure which one is DIR and which is stroke). Remove the zip tie that keeps the mouthpiece on the bkup reg. Tie a knot in each end of the bungee, lay it against the sides of the mouthpiece and replace the zip tie, securing the bungee.

The other way, you can see here: http://www3.sympatico.ca/chatterton/bungee.html
That doesn’t seem very smart to me. What if your primary fails? And you have to buddy breath. Your going to have that stupid necklaces in the way?. I would just take some surgical tubing /bungee and size out the amount you will need. Then over lap then and zip tie on both sides to make a mouth piece. It better so that you can take it off incase of some accident or you don’t lose your necklace if the mouth piece came off. In this case i would use the link!!!!

Tek Adventure Diver:
That doesn’t seem very smart to me. What if your primary fails? And you have to buddy breath. Your going to have that stupid necklaces in the way?. I would just take some surgical tubing /bungee and size out the amount you will need. Then over lap then and zip tie on both sides to make a mouth piece. It better so that you can take it off incase of some accident or you don’t lose your necklace if the mouth piece came off. In this case i would use the link!!!!

Not too sure of your question here. If your primary fails then you would be either going to your backup slug around your neck or going OOA and breathing of the buddies primary while he breaths of his backup.

I briefly tried the complete bungie meathod and found it a bit of a PITA as too much stress (usually done while gearing up) on the bungie cause the whole thing to slip off the mouthpiece.

Also fyi - you dont need to remove the original zip-tie on your mouthpiece. I just place another zip tie over it.

Tek Adventure Diver:
You can always breath directly from the valve. :wink:

I mean really, let's look at your example. Your buddy is OOA or has both his regs fail, so you donate your long hose. Then - can you believe it? - your primary fails, too. But your back-up is still working. So the two of you are looking at finishing the dive with one reg between you, on a short little hose, buddy breathing to the surface (should we add overhead, deco, current, suit flood to the scenario?). If this happens, you have more to worry about than just the two seconds it takes to bring the bungee over your head (it'd actually be more dramatic to cut it with your knife :wink: ).

I suppose this scenario is possible, but I wouldn't configure my gear based on it.

I use the black shock cord sold by REI, and the necklace construction in the link in Rick's first post. I like this because it does not involve the ziptie that holds the mouthpiece on the reg, and it is possible to pull the reg out of the necklace if for some peculiar reason one needed to do that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom