Need advice on Equipt and LDS in SF Bay Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjens

Reaction score
I guess I am looking for two things, how do I buy a BP/W and can anyone recommend an LDS in the San Francisco Bay Area that I can give me an alternative to the Internet.

I live in the east bay, and am new to diving (OW cert in Maui last August). I actually stumbled across this board looking for equipment recommendations. I haven't bought anything yet, I am actually still looking for a good LDS, preferably one that can help if I decide to go the BP/W route, actually the whole DIR route long hose, etc...

Actually, i am very interested but still a bit confused on how to go about configuring or buying a BP/W. Aluminum or Steel? Which wing? webbing v. harness? I want to do it right the first time, but money is an issue (I will likely be buying 3 more rigs for my 14, 15, & 16 year old boys -- All over 5'9" and in good shape -- also certified last summer)

I will primarily be diving single tank in a 7mm wetsuit in Northern and Southern Ca with occasional warm water vacations (in 3mm). Also I am 6'1" about 225 and would like to minimize the weight on my belt...

While I am asking, what do you think of BP/W as their BC's. I assume if it is the best for me it will be for them too, but is that correct?

Thanks in advance

Note: I already read the threads about diving with teens, please don't side track this thread, I plan on diving with one at a time as my buddy (I don't plan on sending two rookie diving teens off as buddys in a CA kelp forest). In fact I intend to keep most of our dives off Del Monte beach and Whalers Cove for awhile...

The folks associated with the Bay Area Underwater Explorers could tell you exactly where to go for BP/wings in San Francisco. They can probably help you pick your gear, too.

Two shops I know of in Monterey that carry backplates are Manta Ray and Monterey Bay Dive Center. A quick Google search should turn up their websites.

I dive a steel backplate here in Northern CA - I've only seen aluminum plates being used by smaller guys with double steels.

Thanks for the feedback, especially the steel vs. aluminum clarification. I did my first dive in Monterey today. Great day, the weather was great High 60s, and it wasn't as cold as I thought it would be (I had a rented 7mm farmer john).

I didn't have time to stop at Manta Ray or Monterey dive, but I will follow up them and BAUE in the future.

Thanks again.

Triton, Thanks for the info, I will call next time I go. That would be awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom