Your Own VIP stickers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there anybody who is using their own VIP stickers (TDI or PSI) on your own tanks in IN and KY areas?

Does the shops honor it?

Thanks in advance,

My instructor is PSI, he never had any problems. His visual sticker was on one of my tanks for a year back in 2001 and I was never refused a fill.

I was talking to someone about that the other day. I had no idea & was amazed that even such a thing even existed. Being the newbie I still am let me ask, isn't or shouldn't training be manditory to put a VIP sticker on a tank? I mean if not, then what's to stop a person from just slapping a sticker to their tank (even without checking it)? I would think that it could pose a hazard to the person filling it. Yes it is that person's responsibility & right to verify, but how many shops do it? It seems kinda risky if you ask me. Anyway I'm just curious.

tstorm,

The sad thing is many of the shops have very few people that actually have the training. Many of them do the "John took the training last year so now he can teach Jim, Dan, and Fred."

The important thing for a good inspection isn't if it is done at a shop or not but if the person doing it is certified by PSI or some other agency that offers training in tank inspection.

Hoosier,

JBD is PSI certified and none of the local shops have given us problems about the PSI stickers he has used. They all know us though. I haven't had to get a fill anywhere else in the last couple years.

Chad

tstormwarning:
I was talking to someone about that the other day. I had no idea & was amazed that even such a thing even existed. Being the newbie I still am let me ask, isn't or shouldn't training be manditory to put a VIP sticker on a tank? I mean if not, then what's to stop a person from just slapping a sticker to their tank (even without checking it)? I would think that it could pose a hazard to the person filling it. Yes it is that person's responsibility & right to verify, but how many shops do it? It seems kinda risky if you ask me. Anyway I'm just curious.
There is nothing to stop anyone from using their own sticker. There also is nothing stopping me or anyone else from refusing to fill any cylinder we feel like not filling for any reason. If I have my doubts about the validity of any sticker or any person claiming to have done a visual inspection then I will inspect it myself before I fill the cylinder.

Not all shop personnel are fully trained on the details of a proper inspection. On the other hand some individual divers, with no shop affiliation, are very knowledgeable and competent when it comes to visual inspections. Ultimately, the safety of the cylinder is the responsibility of the owner.

jbd:
There is nothing to stop anyone from using their own sticker. There also is nothing stopping me or anyone else from refusing to fill any cylinder we feel like not filling for any reason. If I have my doubts about the validity of any sticker or any person claiming to have done a visual inspection then I will inspect it myself before I fill the cylinder.

Not all shop personnel are fully trained on the details of a proper inspection. On the other hand some individual divers, with no shop affiliation, are very knowledgeable and competent when it comes to visual inspections. Ultimately, the safety of the cylinder is the responsibility of the owner.

Yea, what I said. :D :D :D

Chad

Thanks for your inputs.

I guess jbd is pretty much well known instructor in KY area. So, I am not sure if the same case really applies to the average/normal divers who have PSI or TDI VIP certificate.

That is, I wonder how the self VIP sticker works for the average/normal divers who simply have PSI or TDI VIP certificate, but doesn't have any aquaintance with LDS? With the same reason, I am also wondering if the sticker issued by jbd works in IN?

Any hoosier divers experience?

I wasn't questioning anyone's credentials & apologize if anyone took it that way. I was just more or less curious & concerned about the possible implictions of such a thing occurring. I personally have my instructor examine & repair my equipment, including my tanks. I have seen her credentials & trust her. I gladly pay the fees she charges to perform these services for my safety & the safety of anyone who must handle my equipment. I knew going into diving, that having my own equipment, I would have to keep up the maintenance on it & that it wouldn't be cheap (I believe firmly in the "you get what you pay for" saying). I am hoping in the future to eventually be able to get the proper training to help out my LDS with the equipment maintenance duties, but that's a way off & I have other things to get done first. Please don't take my questions as an insult, take it as someone who wants to learn & to do the right things to keep my gear in safe & tip top shape.

hoosier:
Thanks for your inputs.

I guess jbd is pretty much well known instructor in KY area. So, I am not sure if the same case really applies to the average/normal divers who have PSI or TDI VIP certificate.

That is, I wonder how the self VIP sticker works for the average/normal divers who simply have PSI or TDI VIP certificate, but doesn't have any aquaintance with LDS? With the same reason, I am also wondering if the sticker issued by jbd works in IN?

Any hoosier divers experience?
Pretty generally a person won't have the PSI stickers unless they have taken the course from PSI. There are devious ways around this. To actually purchase the stickers from PSI, I have to provide them with my PSI inspector number. If my inspection training is not kept current PSI will not sell me anymore stickers. My re-cert training is due by August, 2007.

There is no real reason for a shop in IN to not accept a PSI sticker that is "current" unless there is some evidence of misuse or abuse/damage to the cylinder since the sticker was applied. In these cases no ones sticker is valid and a visual inspection is called for.

BTW, I provide a copy of the inspection form when the cylinder is returned to the owner.

tstormwarning:
I wasn't questioning anyone's credentials & apologize if...... Please don't take my questions as an insult, take it as someone who wants to learn & to do the right things to keep my gear in safe & tip top shape.
Tstorm,
Your questions were taken as you intended--no insult, no harm taken. Your questions are valid ones and are things people should think about, whether getting scuba gear serviced or getting service work done on a car. Often times image, in this case a dive shop location, is used to gauge competence. As Chad noted, this is not always the best indicator of competence. You have made the better choice by seeing the credentials and establishing a relationship of trust with the person doing the work on your gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom