Here's my current open water Hog rig...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the rig shown above is used by many serious divers, as was noted on the other thread.

Dan Ziegner:
Actually, the rig shown above is used by many serious divers, as was noted on the other thread.

Yeah but just like the guy in the picture....... it's only in a swimming pool:)

Dan Ziegner:

Yes - it's used by many fine divers. But its not a hogarthian set up so this thread, which is totally devoid of any useful information, belongs in some other forum - not the hog forum.

I suggest that there are many in this forum that don't know what "hogartian' means. Obviously.

So does your definition of hogartian diving include jacket BC's and standard regulator set ups?

My definition doesn't matter.

It's about the mindset of a diver and his choice of equipment and why, it's not about the equipment itself, and it's certainly not about any particular equipment.

You either get it, or you don't.

Here's the best online presentation that I've read so far: http://www.divingindepth.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=511&tabindex=7&DocumentID=3506

And the real irony is that Bill Main was given the middle name Hogarth in honor of William Hogarth, an English artist noted for a series of engravings satirizing and poking fun at the affectations and silly customs of his time.

Dan -

I certainly agree that key point in hogarthian diving is a philosophy of critically appraising your diving with the goals of safety and simplicity in mind.

These concepts then need to be applied to both planning and equipment selection to achieve the goal in question.

Now – have a look at the original post. The diver is wearing what appears to be a back inflate BC with plenty of padding and buckles, while using a primary regulator on a standard hose and, if you look at the hose routing on the first stage, no octopus.

Is this a safe and minimalist hogarthian solution as the OP states, or can it be stripped down further and made safer by applying hogarthian principles?

Cheers,
Rohan.

Well, the diver is wearing a Scubapro Knighthawk, which is a back-inflate/BC hybrid that can handle doubles. From my limited experience of reading this website, many posters believe that it does not conform to "hogarthian diving principles".

The OP was showing/satirizing those posters a little bit by posting a photo of a particular rig that he uses, also being used by NASA divers.

Now, those divers are using "Hog theory" in that they have made a particular equipment choice based on a particular dive profile, and are surely adept at using it. My guess is that they have chosen not to use an octo because they deemed it unnecessary for that dive, very Hog. (There's a sentiment amongst some divers that the octo's primary purpose is redundancy for one's self.) And, one can take off the buckles, but why? And padding feels good.

Would I tech, wreck, or cave with it? No; but for open water, sure.

Cheers to you,

Dan Ziegner

Dan Ziegner:
Would I tech, wreck, or cave with it? No; but for open water, sure.

Cheers to you,

Dan Ziegner

I could care less how you would dive it, it's not even close to a hog set-up.

The simple fact here is that the OP is a troll, and you seem to be falling in line with him.

:deadhorse:

So Dan Z, is it just coincidence that you have the same IP address as Dan A?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom