Goodman Handle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gomi_otaku

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey there, I'd like to see more pictures of what people have fabricated for Goodman handles. My Sartek came with the light head clip with a brass snap, I'm going to make something up out of PVC or black ABS pipe to bolt it to, with possibly an elastic soft band with a buckle. I could probably make more than one, and try an actual aluminum bar stock Goodman handle for it.
gomi_

Hi gomi,

I have the same plan as you, in fact i executed it unsuccessfully! As soon as i received the light, i thought it'd be great to make a Goodman handle using the existing clip and snap; after all, the actual clip should be the hardest part of making a handle or at least it seems to me to be.

Anyway, what i did was get a piece of plastic, screw the clip and snap on top, drill a couple of holes on the sides and use a piece of bungee cord to slip the entire thing onto my hand. It worked beautifully for a couple of dives until the plastic cracked!

The piece that i used wasn't sturdy enough. So i'm thinking of buying a sheet of plastic strong enough to do the job. I'm just not sure what type of plastic is the best to use for such an application or what the suitable thickness is. Hopefully, the answers will come in this thread.

I went out to the hardware store and bought a 12" section of black ABS drain pipe, it was at least a 4" diameter, maybe 5", I'll have to check. I wanted a minimal curve to the plate.
The ABS is about 3/8 thick, possibly a little more. I am starting off with a plate about 3" long and wide and I am using elastic about 1 1/2" wide rather than thin bungee cord. I cut twin slots on both sides and rounded the edges of the slots and the plates, I think one side will have the elastic doubled under and stitched, and the other side will work as a friction fitting similar to a buckle. I will double under the end and stitch it so it can't pull back through the slot even if it gets loose.
I figured there would be more posts, but it seems everybody posts in the main forum rather than the sub-forums.
gomi_

You're right, the thread isn't getting much exposure here.

I went with a 3/8" acrylic sheet. I was going to do the bungee thing again but your elastic band idea sounds good. I have some lying around, maybe i'll do that as well.

My goodman handleis simple.

An aluminum plate with 4 slots, a nylon strap laced through it.
Brass bolt samp and slide buckle.

I'm stuck behind afirewall and cannot upload pic's.

But you can see my light and handle here: http://groups.msn.com/divelight/mikedshidlight.msnw

Mike D

I just made one last night from a 2" PVC pipe joiner fitting. Cut it lengthwise, heated it in boiling water and straighted it with a rolling pin. Nice and sturdy. Two tie-wraps to hold the light and two bungees under the hand. It doesn't look like much, but is more solid than the factory OMS handle that broke. And it probably cost all of $.50.

In this case the bolt snap is on the light itself.

My goodman handle was pretty basic. What i did was get in my car, drive to my LDS pick out a goodman handle. Give them my bank card. Drove back to my house. Then went diving. :p

mddolson:
My goodman handleis simple.

An aluminum plate with 4 slots, a nylon strap laced through it.
Brass bolt samp and slide buckle.

How adjustable is it on the fly, with thick gloves on?
I tested mine yesterday, in the water the elastic strap wants to slide through the slots a little too easy, leading it to loosen. I am thinking a strap lock will have to be added. But, pulling it tight and then simply holding the end with my thumb, it worked well (at least the handle did, the vis couldn't be corrected with any lighting)
gomi_

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom