MR16 bulbs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packhorse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Been looking for a high colour temp bulb but the supply seems a bit limited.

I want a spot bulb of 10deg or so, 12volt, 20-35watt, 4000k+.
Is there such a bulb? The only 4000k+ bulbs I can find here are 38 deg flood.
What spec bulbs do you guys use?

I use a 14.4volt 5amp/hour battery with a Mag light head.

Hi

Solux and Whitestar have a narrow spot ( 10 or 12°) in 20 and 35Watt. (colourtemp 4700K)
Do you think a 5Amp batterypack will be ok for a 35Watt bulb?
What batteries are you using? I am thinking of building a 5Amp pack with Cyclon sla 2Volts buth I'm not shure if 5Amp is ok?

Mmm. not to sure about that.

35w/12v = 2.9 amp so that should give you 100 min of burn time
Increasing the voltage by 20% increases current consumption by about 20%
So a 35w bulb (rated at 12v) running on a 5ah 14.4 volt battery will last about 80 min.
Also the Ah or mAh ratings are based on a longer burn time eg .5amp for 10 hours as opposed to 5amp for 1 hour. This will reduce burn time.

OK according to Ohms law a 35w 12 v bulb has a reistance of 4.114 ohms so the same bulb driven at 14.4 volt = 50 watt and 3.5 amp current draw.
Also note that your voltage will be higher on a full charge and drop as the battery goes flat. This will differ between SLA & Nicads etc. So the wattage will be even higher and burn time even lower.

I find a 20w (@12 volt) bulb is bright enough and give enough for 2 dives or even 3.

Packhorse:
Neith solux or whitestar seem to be avaliable here in NZ :(

I'm about to order some bulbs myself (in a few weeks). Do you want me to order some more en send them over to you?

Solux: 35Watt in 10, 17, 24 or 36° Colortemp 4700K. Price is 15.95 Euros/piece.
Whitestar: 35 Watt in 10, 24 or 36° Colortemp 5300K. Price is 25.30 Euros/piece
Solux I order in Holland, Whitestar in Germany. There will be a small shipping kost to Belgium but as I need several bulbs the shipping cost should be only about 1 euro a piece or something.

I don't know the shipping cost from Belgium to NZ, but I can ask that at the post office...

Thanks for the offer. Wow they are expencive. I pay about $9 NZ (4.50 Euro) for my current bulbs or $10 for a pack of 5 50watt 36deg. But I supose you pay for quality.
I can get 20 or 50 watt 36deg 4200K for $15.
I might have a further look around the lighting outlets here and if I cant find any I wil tank you up on that offer.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom