Toss DUI boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate to be the dissenting voice, but....

I did 3 dives with the rock boots. Didn't like 'em. They come untied, the knots in the laces seize after being wet, and worst of all, TOO MUCH FIDDLING ABOUT!

I'll keep my space boots, thank you very much....shloop shloop zip, let's go.

Originally posted by canuckton
I hate to be the dissenting voice, but....

I did 3 dives with the rock boots. Didn't like 'em. They come untied, the knots in the laces seize after being wet, and worst of all, TOO MUCH FIDDLING ABOUT!

I'll keep my space boots, thank you very much....shloop shloop zip, let's go.

What knots??

Every rock boot set I have ever seen come with a spring loaded slide that is used to tighten the laces..

If you have the right size, your feet are snug and no extra air gets in..

I'm glad to hear mostly positive comments and praises on rockboots.
I just picked up my dui 200 with rockboots and can't wait to get them wet.

WYDT once bubbled...
I've got the TLS 350 with the rock boot system. I've never worn the rock boots due to the fact they won't fit into my Jet Fins. I wear my regular wetsuit booties (they were a little large to start) over the sock feet of the drysuit. This works great for me in the caves of N Florida but I don't know if it'd be warm enough in real cold water since you can't really put on thick insulation and still get the booties on. Or at least I've never tried it.

DSAO!!

You might want to look at the TURTLE fins. I am quite happy with them and my rock boots.:rolleyes:

Thanks folks, I just came across this thread about the rock boots and its has removed the one concern I had with my new TLS450. I've not dove with it yet but I was wondering how the rock books will fair up. Also, some good alternative were mentioned for rock boot replacements. I know I have a pair of high top Sorell's that look like they would also be good for use with the suit... Rubber soles and stiched Canvas uppers.

For the Fins, I have the Turtles and a new pair of XL Blade ll's and they should fit just perfect with the boots.

Silverback

aquanut once bubbled...
Here's my secret, and believe me, I've even received compliments from dui rock boot guys. Look for a pair of canvas high top sneakers, (like the converse or Keds). They are none bouyant, and are more durable than any dive boot. I found a really cheap pair of "no-name" brand shoes from wal-mart. They are black and have a heavy duty sole, and best of all, they were only 10 bucks. I also have rock boots, and the sneakers kick their butt.
Everyone thinks that they are real expensive "tech" boots. Ha, Ha!!!

I have a buddy of mine that uses a pair of hitop canvas basketball shoes.He got black ones with flames.They match his black drysuit and look really cool and have been holding up great.Best of all i think he paid about 20 bucks for them.

I originally bought my Drysuit with the "dipped" boots - and never was soo uncomfortable.

I tried a suit with rock boots and have since had mine retrofitted by DUI. No slop, no cramps - pure comfort.

I have a pair of converse all stars (the old basketball shoe) that I got for $15. I have them sized for just warm water. They work better than the dive boots in my opinion. I have never tried them with my drysuit. Since it is only another $15, I think i can risk going and getting another pair that will fit with my dry suit on.
Thanks for that Idea Aquanat.

ADAM

I have a size 7 DUI Rock Boot. The diffiuclty I've found it poor fitting fins for that size boot. It seems that size in kind of in the middle of the a med. and large. I've found that the foot pocket on the turtle fins or jet fins are too narrow or flat in the front thus forcing me to a larger ill-fitting fin of the same type or selecting a different fin type.

I wouldn't toss my boots though. They are very comfortable and work well with custom, intergrated neoprene drysuit booties.

Annie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom