cold blooded diver- what wetsuit addition?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got the DUI 30/30 and will never dive wet again. It is more comfortable, you come up ans are dry....so the SI are very nice....and no smelly wetsuit to pull off! Taking mine to Bonaire in December.

When I am in Illinois I use my DUI 350 with the extream plus weezle....I used that all summer here to not be affected by temp changes past about 30 feet.

I concur with what Perrone and others said. Get a drysuit. If you're cold in a 6mm, chances are that you'll be cold in a 7mm too. With a drysuit, you can add or omit undergarments as needed to fit your comfort level.

And get a hood, too.

dannobee:
And get a hood, too.

Wow, the concept of diving dry and hoodless never occured to me but for the tropical dry diver I suppose it's an option.

Pete

Try a drysuit. They're not all big and bulky and stiff, and you'll be warm.

Terry

opalobsidian:
Hey everybody!

My 5mm is already so tight (short in the crotch) that I dare not try and fit something else underneath.

Thanks so much for your non-judgemental advice!
Pamela:wink:

pupdiver:
Were you wearing a hood? A lot of people think that if they feel cold in their bodies a hood won't help, but a lot of heat escapes through your head and it makes an amazing difference. That would certainly be a first addition.

I'll second that. I didn't even think to ask about the hood.

Your head accounts for a huge portion (about 30%) of your heat loss. A full hood would probably solve your whole problem.

Terry

I have a semi dry Xcel Polar Tri Density with attached hood and after a dive only a couple of cups of water come out of it. Normally I don't feel any water intrusion unless I turn my head sharply to either side or once in awhile I get a trickle through one of the zipper corners if my arms are out a certain way. It is perfectly suited for the cold waters here in New England and I stay warm. However, you do NOT want to tinkle in one of these suits unless you want to spend the dive in it. Not sure you could flush it before getting back on a boat either.

I did see somewhere, I think it might be Pinnacle or Bare that is making a tropical drysuit. Don't know if it's any different than a regular drysuit -- probably not, but might be worth checking out. I agree with those pointing towards a dry suit though -- if your chilly in 80+ degree water, I don't think a semi dry (read semi-wet) will help all that much.

JMHO

pupdiver:
Wow! In 83 degree water I would be wearing a skin.

Yesterday I did 1 1/2 hours in 83 in swim trunks and a BC.

If you're cold in a wet suit, does it fit properly? If it does, you shouldn't be having water flow through it, it should get in and stayput. If it's flowing, you need a different size.

Ken

I knew most of you would say you would dive water in the 80s just wearing no more than a banana hammock....:shakehead

At least S Simon knows what I'm talking about!

Not to be ungrateful, thanks so much for all the helpful info!!!! First I will try the hooded path, and maybe gloves as well, and if I'm still all a shiver I'll try the dry suit. I will miss the free flow of wee, but not so badly as to carry a suit load around with me!!!

happy bubble trails!
Pamela:wink:

Back
Top Bottom