Fabulous Wall Trip in San Salvador, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zenpash

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey everyone,
If you haven't dived San Sal Bahamas walls yet ..jump onboard this fall..Best wall diving in the Bahamas , migrating Hammerheads in the fall and winter..I can get a great deal for at least 11 divers..all food, board, dives iniclusive package...first diver pays full and second goes at non diver prices...Can't beat it!! I have been down twice and have beocme involved in a non profit on the island..San Salvadorian Living Jewels...We will have all the waters surrounding the island preserved and a national marine and land park will emerge ( much like Bonaire) I have now bought property on this Island and will be living there on and off..It is in the Eastern band of islands only a 55 minute flight from Ft. Lauderdale/Miami..The entire isalnd is surrounded by an incredible wall and it is the first landing of Columbus...it is truely an undescovered jewel. Anyone interested in setting up a trip , please let me know and I can hook us all up...........Marcie

Is there a new dive operator on San Sal? That would be nice.

Hi archman,

No, still just Riding Rock & Club Med.

Regards,

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
No, still just Riding Rock & Club Med.DocVikingo

Don't forget the Nekton liveaboard. I did Riding Rock once and returned twice on the Nekton. Never made it to Club Dread.

Good diving always.

Good point, Doc.

Not to worry, for a dedicated diver the Club Dread is much as you'd imagine ; )

Regards,

Doc

I'm poking around for a quick trip, and was considering San Sal again.

Gotta say, the Riding Rock basically sucks as a hotel. My wife and I visited Club Med last time we were there, and

[Amusing anecdote: One afternoon, we walked over to the Club Med on the road. FRICKIN HOT. We decided to walk back along the beach. FRICKIN HOT. Unfortunately, I was just wearing jeans and a t-shirt; had to get in the water anyway. So, I'm in the buff, and about 50 feet out to get past the rocky shallows. As we get closer to the Riding Rock, the shallows get bigger and shallower... so I'm stuck trying to make sure I don;t step on an urchin or something, whilst staying in the less and less water.

Quite a show for the diving gang... everybody poured out of the bar onto the little patio to watch. :D ]

... I thought that maybe staying at the Club Med while diving at Riding Rock could be a good solution.

I think the Club Med is closed for renovations right now though... I disliked staying at the Riding Rock enough that San Sal is scratched for this trip, unless I jump on a liveaboard.

Riding Rock is undergoing some pretty massive updates. They have a new business partner who is dumping significant money into the place. Cute little bungalows are being built just to the left of the older hotel units.

I think they replaced the busted shaft on their smaller dive boat, too.

Hmmm... just checked out RR's website regarding the improvements. Maybe maybe.

Anybody ever see any big animals *other* than hammers there? I seached here and checked Undercurrents and didn;t see any references, but I've gotta believe that given the location there are other big guys swimming by.

The hammerheads's are a local phenomenon; other big pelagics don't congregate around the island.

That said, San Salvador's stuck-out location in the west Atlantic, coupled with its deepwater access, means that pelagics are far more likely to be encountered there vs. places like Andros or Nassau.

I know mantas are infrequently spotted. I think the most fun "big fish" encounters are petting the semi-tame groupers at some of the dive sites. They follow you around the wall tops and want you to rub their bellies. I've gotten one fish to rotate on its back nearly upside down.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom