Dual Use UP Drysuit Undergarment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Dave

Reaction score
Last week, my 300g Polartec, two piece, all black, "Uncle Pug" drysuit undies got put to their first out-of-the-water test. It was 4 degrees Farenheit at my Dad's farm in western PA. That's the real temperature, NOT the wind chill factor. The old man lives on an always windy mountain top. Factor in the 20 to 30 knot winds and who knows how cold it really was.

I took the kids out to play in the snow wearing polypro long johns, a pair of sweats, and my "UP Special" top underneath a pair of nylon coveralls. Let me tell you, I was T-O-A-S-T-Y. And for the most part, I was standing around or laying in the snow watching the kids. When I shoveled snow, I had to unzip the coveralls and let out some steam.

Polartec's not kidding when they say their 300g is appropriate for inactivity in extremely cold weather. This stuff is too hot if you're hiking uphill or shoveling, but juuuust right for the 37 degree quarry!

David

I just received my Softwear "Uncle Pug Signature Series",custom, one piece, all-black 300g undies this morning. The undies fit great and are well made. Thank you UP for the recommendation.

jasondbaker once bubbled...
"Uncle Pug Signature Series" undies this morning. .

Yea, but have you figured out how you're going to explain Pug's signature on your underwear to the nurse in the hospital if you have an accident =-) :confused:

MD

Last Saturday in April - June Lake Ca. Elevation 8000 something feet.

Been going for 25 years - some years are Tshirt and a coat, some years are zero minus degrees.

My Undergarments are pulling double duty this year, for sure. In fact, a NON-DIVINIG buddy of mine just bought a pair of supermodel UP and Shane undies for the trip. He's wearing them snowboarding in BC this weekend.

Nice. Anytime you get gear to serve multiple purposes the effective cost of ownership drops.

cool.

I'll admit it, I took a 10 day Caribbean Cruise with the 'boss lady' and don't know what Uncle Pug undies are. Will someone fill me in? I'm negotiating with Bob for a Viking drysuit and will need something to put under it, for my drysuit class this spring. I was thinking about polar fleese from Sierra Traders would work for a LOT less than the $400 Andy's Undies I saw at the LDS today (whew...$400 undies!)

Thanks in advance!

http://home.att.net/~gchev91/index.htm

Great price, great fit, and Janice is simply the best to deal with. She's got a good product here.

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Last Saturday in April - June Lake Ca. Elevation 8000 something feet.

Been going for 25 years - some years are Tshirt and a coat, some years are zero minus degrees.

My Undergarments are pulling double duty this year, for sure. In fact, a NON-DIVINIG buddy of mine just bought a pair of supermodel UP and Shane undies for the trip. He's wearing them snowboarding in BC this weekend.

Nice. Anytime you get gear to serve multiple purposes the effective cost of ownership drops.

cool.
I had the same thought...if it is cold enough this weekend I will take mine snowboarding as well...I have the one piece, so I bet it would be toasty..

Tell me more about BAAT... I'll bite.

K

PS: Janice's software definately meet rule 6 on the water...another plus. Float-tubing in 30-something water is definately frozen-grape city. I intend on keeping the twins toasty this Opening day.

Can anyone who has had the opportunity to test the 300g Polartec against the Weazle Extreme and / or the DUI 400g comment? This would be a comparison based on these alone and not on the extras one needs to wear along with the undies to stay warm...

Here's the scoop:

Bought a DUI 50/50 SS at DEMA - great deal, blah blah. Looked at the DUI undies. Thinsulate, Grinchwear (2 X 150 Polartech) and their new mega-stretch stuff.

I don't Deco dive, and will probably not get below the 50 degrees for the diving I do. Thinsulate wasn't worth it for me. Great stuff for real cold, or real long deco hangs...not for me. Too much TLC required.

Enter the dreaded Green DUI undies. They're touted as a 300, but they're actually a double 150 layered. This makes the stuff both more bouyant (traps more gas) and tougher to manage (getting in and out is not as easy as a single layer, shifting of the outer layer when donning is a pain, etc.) Warm? You bet. But they're fluffy, bouyant, pack larger and are a bit unruly.

Plus, they're green. I mean GREEN.

Enter the Softwear. I own the DUI, so I stole my wife's set...so I can do a comparison. They were a little tight (she's smaller than I - taller, but narrower.) They're single layer 300. Easy to get in and out of, pack much smaller, don't trap as much gas, etc. I have dove them twice and have not been cold in these. They don't have the construction nuances of the DUI (bias taped seams, cuffs and hip pockets, raised coller, etc.) but they are surely more managable than the green stuff. The Sox are cut better than the DUI sox, and fit in my suit and rock boots much better - no bunching under foot (I HATE that...) Others on the board have dove them in burr-cold water and been fine in them.

and they're black.... a guy's gotta look good on his surface interval.

My greenies are going on ebay as soon as MY set of Software arrive.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom