7 Mil in January... in Michigan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm... some conflicting statements. Perhaps I should just take a jump in the St. Clair River in January in my 7m and try 'er out myself. No experience like first hand.

trucker girl:
Notso_Ken is nuts! I know this for a fact!

I, personally, am cold in a 7 mil in August... so I'm no fun.

Aww, come on, you've only dove (dived?) with me the one time, you can't guarantee that I'm nuts! But, then, I did play UNO under water . . . .:D

Ken

i just tried out my 30/30 DUI drysuit for my upcoming trip to Bonaire....I will never dive wet again!

S_SIMON:
i just tried out my 30/30 DUI drysuit for my upcoming trip to Bonaire....I will never dive wet again!

Even in the warm stuff eh?

Notso_Ken:
Aww, come on, you've only dove (dived?) with me the one time, you can't guarantee that I'm nuts! But, then, I did play UNO under water . . . .:D

Ken

AND you won!

I know you're not nuts- I was just seeing if you're paying attention!

My LDS owner used to go to Gilboa for a New Years dip and stopped the year the zipper on his dry suit froze and he had to thaw it out before he could get out of it.

Yes...even in the warm stuff. After 5 dives a day for 5 or 6 days....i am usually sooooo tired. I think even in water temps of upper 70's and 80's your body core will lose heat and in turn tire you out. I don't want to miss any dives from being too tired or cold!

Plus, putting on the damp, smelly and cold wetsuit all day.....gets old! I can't wait to try it out when i go to Bonaire ....that will be the true test.

I have no reason to dive wet again after the experiences I have had with diving dry. I couldn't be happier and have had better, more comfortable dives.

dsater:
So I've heard you can dive with your 7M here in Michigan in January and still be warm enough to enjoy the dive. Any truth to this?
If you mean on the lake, I don't think it is even possible. I know the boat I dive on has told me that everyone is required to wear special thermal suits after a certain date but a drysuit qualifies. I know a wet suit doesn't. Unfortunatly I won't be seeing the guy that told me that for a while to ask for clarification, but he is a licensed captain.
I imagine that is for charter boats of a given size range.

Joe

dsater:
I imagine with the right windchill, you're basically a scubacicle after the 1st dive.

Yes... It might be.... I am also cold bloody guy and like a cold weather than the hot one. I have dived all year around and dived a lot of people who has a macho man syndrome, but they never completed 2nd dive as we planned. I always had to end up 2nd dives soon. We have a cold water, 42F @ 40ft a week ago...:wink:

Back
Top Bottom