7 Mil in January... in Michigan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So I've heard you can dive with your 7M here in Michigan in January and still be warm enough to enjoy the dive. Any truth to this?

dsater:
So I've heard you can dive with your 7M here in Michigan in January and still be warm enough to enjoy the dive. Any truth to this?

It all depends upon your cold tolerance. Speaking for myself, I could probably handle a 15-30 min dive with double layers of 7 (either FJ or 7mm w/ 7mm hooded vest). I've done 5 dives in a 7mm in water 42-45 F. The SI is the problem. If I had a warm building or shelter of some sort to go into immediately before doffing my gear, I could probably handle 2 dives. Getting out of the cold for the SI and getting out of the wetsuit is the critical part. If I were to give this a try, I'd also be sure and fill the suit with warm water before entering the water.

To me. Nope. It is ok with the 1st dive, but the 2nd dive is another story.

hoosier:
To me. Nope. It is ok with the 1st dive, but the 2nd dive is another story.

I imagine with the right windchill, you're basically a scubacicle after the 1st dive.

dsater:
You are a man of men

Don't let him fool you! He's another one of the drysuit wimps. Heck, he even dives dry at Haigh in July. Jesh! :D

dsater:

I dive a 7mm in northern OH in January. That's almost to southern MI.

As the others already said, just watch the SI conditions. I've got a pop up canopy with some tarps for walls, then throw a heater inside. Then, I also like to have a second farmer john so I've got a dry one for the second dive. Thrid dive depends on how well the first fj dries out during the interval after the first dive till the 3rd.

Back
Top Bottom