Mares vs. Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobDK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've collected a little money and is willing to spend it on new diving equipment. I've been looking at the:

Mares Proton Ice or the Apeks XTX200.

And would like to hear pro's and con's on the above mentioned.

Thanks.

I have the Mares Proton Ice EXTREME. There is no longer proton ice. The Proton Ice Extreme is amazing, i use that as my primary. Its great for cold water and as never freeflowed. These are both great regs, personaly i would say the mares and it is alot cheaper too.

I don't know squat about the Mares regs but as far as the Apeks line, I don't think you'll notice a difference between the XTX200 and a DS4 or DST with an *TX50 2nd (XTX, ATX or just plain old TX). I believe most of the changes between the first stages are purely cosmetic. DS4 firsts are *very* popular amoung technical divers (same as the DST, just lacking the swivel).

I had the old mares ice reg.... i don't know if i just got a faulty one but it was soooo sensitive that I had a freeflow almost every time I hit the water. I had it serviced and adjusted several times but it just continued to happen...
Once I was underwater it performed extremely well. For ice diving however, you definitly need the optional cold water pack. Otherwise it freezes.

A couple of years, I switched over to Apeks (the ATX series) and I am very happy with the switch. Really nothing negative to report.

BobDK:
I've collected a little money and is willing to spend it on new diving equipment. I've been looking at the:

Mares Proton Ice or the Apeks XTX200.

And would like to hear pro's and con's on the above mentioned.

Thanks.

you cannot go wrong with apeks. they are the iron horse of diving.

I have the ATX 200, which is the same first stage as the XTX 200. The 2nd stages differ in cosmetics, and the XTX 2nd has the ability to switch the hose to either side.

It has been a great cold water reg for me, and it breaths well in the tropics too.

I have both a Mares Proton Ice and an Apeks XTX50. I've had both in nearly 100 feet cold Lake Superior water. I can't say I notice much difference between them as far as performance. 41 degree water and no free flow problems with either (temperature related).

Someone else mentioned the Mares being sensitive. I may have a similar situation with mine. It can flow slightly if current hits it or lots of water movement. It's happened in the pool, too, so it isn't due to temps. It may just need to be tuned, it's due now for it's annual.

I've been pleased with both for both performance and quality. The Apeks is now my primary rig.

ApexLongimanus:
I had the old mares ice reg.... i don't know if i just got a faulty one but it was soooo sensitive that I had a freeflow almost every time I hit the water. I had it serviced and adjusted several times but it just continued to happen...
Once I was underwater it performed extremely well.

Had the same experience with my Proton Ice. I seldom use it now after I got two Apeks regs (DS4/ATX50 and FST/TX100).

Cheers/Safe diving,

Chris......

I am sure you will be happy with the Apeks

loosebits:
I don't know squat about the Mares regs but as far as the Apeks line, I don't think you'll notice a difference between the XTX200 and a DS4 or DST with an *TX50 2nd (XTX, ATX or just plain old TX). I believe most of the changes between the first stages are purely cosmetic. DS4 firsts are *very* popular amoung technical divers (same as the DST, just lacking the swivel).

That, and the 100 is 8% smaller then the 50, the 200 is 8% smaller then the 100. Not much different. The *TX40-200 regs are all the same mechanically. You could get a *TX50, save some money, and have a reg that breaths just as well as the 200. Likewise the TX, ATX and XTX are all the same with purely cosmetic differences. Oh, the XTX line has the ability to mount hoses on either side.

FYI I highly recommend Apex.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom