Ontario and Area Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tek Adventure Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to know some good places to dive around Windsor, I Know Brockville,Tobermory, the Ohio Quarrys,Niagara,Port Dover. but are there any more interesting places. and has anyone ever dove the Detriot River??

The only time I ever hear of anybody diving the Detroit River is when the police have to recover something! I suppose people do, but not anybody I know. I do have friends who dive the St. Clair River up by Port Huron and Sarnia. I haven't done it yet, but it sounds like a trip - ripping current with lake freighters booming along overhead. There are some charters out of Port Sanilac on Lake Huron and up at Alpena. The Straits of Mackinac is excellent, and the drive can't take too much longer than the drive to Toby, with the difference in roads and speed limits. Takes us about six hours to get to Toby from Oakland County, Michigan, and only about four or five to the Mackinac Bridge.

Tek Adventure Diver:
I want to know some good places to dive around Windsor, I Know Brockville,Tobermory, the Ohio Quarrys,Niagara,Port Dover. but are there any more interesting places. and has anyone ever dove the Detriot River??

Sarnia, Sarnia, Sarnia, Sarnia, Sarnia. always good:D

There is a bunch of us from Chatham that dive the St. Clair River around Port Lambton (just north of walpole island) every Sunday (unless we are somewhere else diving). We start usually in April and go until November. Vis is usually nothing special - 10-15' is usually considered good but the current is fun to play in (not much work so makes for an easy drift dive). We are usually looking for old bottles and bits of plates. Max depth that I have ever had is 54' but we tend to usually be around 35-40' and dive time of about 45-50 mins.

but it sounds like a trip - ripping current with lake freighters booming along overhead.

Yep it is - you can hear those freighters coming from a long ways away and they just keep getting louder and louder. Important safety tip - NEVER surface in the middle of the river. Other tips for the St. Clair river would be to dive it with someone who has done it before so you have an idea how where to get in and out so that you can minimize the "scuba hike", we never drag along a dive flag (but usually put on on a dock where we come out at so local boaters are aware we are in the area), and until you are comfortable in the river - a 10-15' buddy line is standard gear.

I've never done the Detroit River although I know some of the guys in Chatham have and my understanding is that before you do it you have to get permission from the harbour master. I guess the vis is also an issue there.

If you are interested in diving the St. Clair on a Sunday then PM me and I'll give you more details of where we meet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom