Theme 16-30 Sept 06: Sharks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No need to express how I feel 'bout 'em

BigNurseSharkb.jpg

NURSESHARKCUP.jpg

debersole:
Now here’s a thread I can contribute to!!!

Night Tiger Shark

crw_4828e.jpg

Debersol, I hope that was a 500mm lens from very far away... :wink: I wouldn't want to bump domes with a tiger shark in the dark...:shakehead

All great pics!

OK, my small contribution... fuzzy pics of threshers...

Thresher2.jpg

Thresher1.jpg

edit: oh and one more... not a great pic but now that's what you call a tail fin!!
Thresher3.jpg

[sigh...] if they would only come just a bit closer... :(

OK, two unusual shark pictures.

In Saba last year, we saw a lot of juvenile nurse sharks. One of this pair has gotten herself into a tonic immobility state. When I saw it, I was afraid that she was in trouble. But a professional aquarist along on the trip explained after the dive that most sharks can be put into a kind of trance by turning them upside down. It's rare that it happens in the wild. She probably snapped out of it after a little while.

nurse_shark_tonic_immobility.jpg

This one was shot inside the Giant Ocean Tank at the New England Aquarium. It's a sand tiger shark.

SandTiger4.jpg

-Mark

Leopard shark in Thailand
53858_1158522048_leopard%20shark.jpg

Whaleshark in Thailand
53858_1158522048_Whale%20shark.jpg

maractwin:
OK, two unusual shark pictures.

In Saba last year, we saw a lot of juvenile nurse sharks. One of this pair has gotten herself into a tonic immobility state. When I saw it, I was afraid that she was in trouble. But a professional aquarist along on the trip explained after the dive that most sharks can be put into a kind of trance by turning them upside down. It's rare that it happens in the wild. She probably snapped out of it after a little while.

-Mark

Mark, I have seen the same behavior in blue sharks off the coast of California.

kapula:
It isn't much but it's a leopard (zebra?) shark from Similan Thailand
zebra.jpg
That is a great shot. When I tried to turn around and get low to take another photo of the leopard I saw, I spooked it. The one above (which hadn't shown up the first time I posted it:confused: ) is the only shot I got of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom