• All latex

Votes: 44 68.8%
  • Latex wrists and Neoprene neck

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Neoprene wrists and Latex neck

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arnaud... neoprene does NOT give you the burn and scars that latex delivers. Just get the neoprene neck seal and be done with it. Why confuse the issue? Folding a neoprene seal is about as difficult as tucking in a t-shirt. Come on...

neoprene does NOT give you the burn and scars that latex delivers.

Scars? I've never had any discomfort or leakage from latex. How does latex scar you unless you are alergic to it.

I'm definitely very uncomfortable in neoprene found it to be restrictive and binding. when doubled over it is twice as thick and half as flexible.

It has the same chance to cause iration to skin because of the grab it places on the skin. Thats why it works! the smooth side grabs the neck and prevents the movement of air and water. Twisting of the neck can give the same rubbing motion and cause iration.

I'm not against the neoprene seal it just not for me. For my build It is not as comfortable as the latex it's that simple if my experience helps it was worth the post.

Hallmac

Arnaud once bubbled...
Will do. By the way, Noshow, those white gloves are really fancy!

Thanks Arnaud... they cost a whole $3.00 Canadian (like 99cents USD) Wearing the black marigolds gloves inside out improves communication underwater with the increased visability the white gives you.

Hallmac, no offense but you don't really know what you are talking about. I am not allergic to latex but I had such severe chaifing from the latex neck seal it scabbed over a ring around my neck and looked like i either tried to kill myself or was into some real kinky stuff. I have never had a reaction to latex on my wrists. The latex neck seal would one dive be fine, then 5 dives chaif. Trying all the BS babypowder, KY jelly, seal saver, etc, etc. after these experiences didn't fix anything.... untill I took the suit back and told them to put in neoprene. It is not thick, does NOT restrict movement, and does not have "the same chance to cause iration to skin because of the grab it places on the skin" as the sealing pressure is distributed over more square inches than with a latex seal and secondly because it is a different material. I have lots of buddies who have never had a problem with latex neck seals and lots who have had major issues with latex neck seals. I haven't met someone with a harsh neck rash, chaif, or scabbing from a neoprene neck seal... not yet.

IF one is having issues with latex, DEFINATELY go for neoprene.

Good luck Arnaud...

This is just another example of the different experiences we all have had. Why this is a good board to be one!

Within our groups are a vast range of experiences and knowledge and they all tend to differ. Just like the make up of our customs.

I take no Offense But Do have an opposing opinion. I have Never even seen the reaction you had and you have not had the discussions our group has had about the neoprene. Now they are both posted and others can use our experiences to chose for themselves.

LOL Hallmac

Hallmac, good point on the board. And somehow, this is why I ask the question. To receive several opinions.

However, my experience with latex is pretty much what Noshow has described. I know I'm not the only one. I was recently on a boat with a group of tech divers. You should have seen the neck of one of their members after a 2 hour dive. And it was latex. The other guys were fine. As you pointed out, different people, different experience.

As far as yours truly, my neck was pretty messed up after three days of intense diving and I don't know if I could have put on my suit again, had the trip lasted longer.

Now, this is not a life threatening matter. It just can be a real pain.

MechDiver once bubbled...

Are you sure the problem isn't razor burns or stubble? I have that problem if not careful

I sit here scratching my neck which has red marks all over it from my neck seal aggrivating minor razor burn.

I would think that if you have latex wrist seals and it's not causing a problem on your wrists, it must not be a reaction to the latex itself. The neck is a highly sensitive area, but the wrists are too. It might just be razor burn or stubble. When I go diving with a week's growth on my neck, I don't have this problem. It only happens when I have shaved within a couple days.

Since I had never heard of this I asked and unknowingly Noshow gave me the problem and the answer. As he pointed out there is more surface area contacting the neck with neoprene than with latex. At the surface the air is squeezed up towards the neck and traped by the neck seal. All the pressure is distributed to the area on the neck the seal makes contact with.

With the latex making a smaller contact area than the neoprene the presure is place on a smaller area Hince the ring described By Noshow after five dives. If I read his post right he said after one dive no problem after five it really left it's mark.

With long surface swims or SIs the pressure would leave a mark with the latex and not with the neoprene.

When I received my training we were told to roll to the right and force all the extra air up our left arm and vent at the wrist seal to prevent the neck squeeze. It is done when we first enter the water and upon surfacing. Probably why the group I dive with has never experienced it. I train my divers the same way I was taught. Since we don't have the force at the neck we haven't had the simptoms.

Does that sound correct to you?

Hallmac

I bought a membrane drysuit last year after owning two neoprene drysuits (with neoprene seals). The membrane suit came with latex seals. These rapidly started to disintegrate due to contact with insect repellent and developed punctures in the wrists from contact with sharp limestone during cave dives. I swopped both neck and wrist seals to neoprene at Xmas and have enjoyed diving the suit ever since. I had the seals made slightly snug and use hand cream to lubricate the wrists to get them on. If I forget the hand cream I just dip the ends of the arms in water before donning the suit.

Duncan

My first dry suit (trilam) had latex seals, I never had a leak and didn't worry about the way the seal laid on my wrist or neck. Latex proved to be a no brainer.

My second dry suit (neoprene) has neoprene neck and wrist seals which I find more comfortable and much warmer. I have had a drip or two run down my neck though and I have to pay attention to how the seals lay around my neck and wrist.

My vote goes to the neoprene for the comfort and warmth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom