Pop goes the shoulder...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ga40456

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I just started diving and was going out on my first live aboard at Bull Shoals Lake- I had done my cert dives, plus 2 others in Mexico a few weeks before- total beginner. There were four instructors and seven divers- most beginners. Last day of trip- I tossed my gear in the water (I have rods in my back from spinal fusions and find it very hard to put it on on land), swam over to it, pulled it on...and my shoulder dislocated. Started screaming to high heaven (this had never happened before) and was very lucky that one of the instructors had just come up and was next to me. They pulled me back to the boat, managed to secure my arm while I was still in the water, lifted me out on a sleeping bag, headed into the dock and the EMTs took me to the hospital and put it back in. The worst part? My boyfriend had just given me a brand new Henderson stretch wetsuit for my b-day the night before- I wore it for ONE DIVE that morning...and the EMTs had to cut it off of me! I know now that my gear was overinflated and if I had just let it sink in the water I wouldn't have had such a tough time getting it on. Just wanted to share my story...I still feel pretty dumb about the whole thing. The suit is now in three pieces in my garage- and I was so excited about it...

Sorry to hear that! It sounded very painful!
But look on the bright side, at leatst it didnt happen underwater!

Ouch! Not only a dislocation (the joint injury that really Lasts!) But a cut up Henderson, now that's a *****.

Aquaseal works wonders. Not for the shoulder but for the suit.

Sorry, just had to say that. But I do feel your pain and thought I'd try to make you laugh. Oh well. I better go dive now.

By the way, glad it didn't turn out to be something worthy of the Accidents Forum.

Ouch! That totally sucks. Take care of your arm and do your therapy! (Comments from a therapist!)

Then get your Henderson sewn back together...I love mine, I don't know what I'd do without it. Well, it wouldn't be pulling on that nasty neoprene. I guess I'd have to buy a new one.

Good luck, and DO YOUR THERAPY!

C U underwater, :snorkel:
scubadivadivemaster

Try sending it back to the factory with a note telling your whole story asking for a quote on getting it repaired. You never know....they just might surprise you and send a new one. The only thing you you have to loose is the shipping.
Then again you could cut it up into neat squares and sell them as commemorative shoulder dislocation mouse pads.

Henderson Dive Wear
301 Orange St
Millville, NJ 08332
Please include a photocopy of your receipt, your name, daytime phone number, and return shipping address. Allow 2-3 weeks for repair and replacement

How is your shoulder now??
I hope it is getting better.... Sorry to hear about your suit!!! Glad you made it back safely!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom