salvage questions open to anyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moose and I brought up two large anchors from Conch Wall... we gave them to Captain Gary and the crew. :D

wreckdiver1715:
Try this link for Maritime Salvage laws in Florida...
http://www.miamimaritimelaw.com/salvage.htm
This looks like a good summary of florida law, but compleatly ignorse federal law, which can be immportant in some cases. This is particularly important in the case of war ships (property of any countries navies), not relinquished or decomissioned.

These are covered by special clauses in federal and international law.

We routinely "clean" our favorite wrecks of lures,anchors,fishing poles, and other assorted crap and boat the stuff as our civic duty. At the marina this civic duty is quickly turned into cash to help cover fuel costs, air fills, and beverages. I have also traded "booty" for fish cleaning when I was lazy/ beveraged up.
Eric

Anything you find underwater is yours to keep.

While it's true that various states have rules about salvaging 'artifacts', and as another member mentioned may require you to turn in objects that are older than a certain number of years, it's not your job to date them.

Unless you have a special education is determining how old an anchor is, how could you even do that?

State governments and the feds have everyone so paranoid about this kind of stuff that many people are afraid to recover things they find. Don't worry about it.

The Federal Gvt. and State Gvt.s have limited resources and are not going to waste their time sending investigators around to weekend salvor's houses to inspect their crusty anchors.

Unless someone has their boat name, drivers license number or personal name, etched on the anchor there's no way someone can just walk by and say "Hey! That's my anchor!". Well someone could but they'd either be lying or just delusional to say it unless it has their name on it.

How do you sell your salvaged anchors and other boating equipment? Easy! Use Google and look up the names of all the yacht clubs in your area. They will have a schedule of events posted. Just look through and find out when they have their swap meet. If they don't have it posted, call them and find out when they have one planned and how much it costs to rent a space in the parking lot the day of the meet (it's usually around $20.00). Take your stuff there with price tags on it and you'll move it.

Pricing for anchors/equipment? Check marine catalogs or your local marine equipment stores and find the price of the items new. Then decide for yourself how much of a discount you want to give because it's used. Anchors are expensive so if you sell for 50% to 60% of the new price you'll get good money and the yachty will get a great deal.

You can also print out flyers with pics of your anchors and the price you're asking and post them on bulletin boards at local marinas. 'Bruce' anchors and 'plow' anchors are very popular with yachties BTW.

The shells and sand dollars? Before you even try to sell any shells or other dead marine critters, call your state Fish and Game agency and find out if you can do so legally. DFG will bust you if you try to sell something that's prohibited from commercial sale. Some shells may be ok to sell, other maybe not. Pick up a copy of the DFG regs at a sporting goods store and give it a read to find out if there are specific rules about that.

If it's legal then a flea market may be the best place to sell them.

Good luck! I hope you find lots of good stuff to sell.

you know ... i'm thinking that might be MY anchor he got... and i wants it back too

as to salvage, you can keep what you find and bring up, provided it does't belong to someone else:

1. Feds NEVER give up ownership of their stuff (Navy ships, for example). if it's in a National Park, it's their stuff no matter who put it there.

2. States MAY give up ownership of their stuff. Generally if it's in a State Park, it's their stuff. if it's in state waters and are protected (such as fossils, treasure, etc.) you will need a license to get them or the State will come after you.

3. Private owners give up ownership if they abandon property, but can come back later to reclaim it, in which case you get salvor's costs.

in real life, no one is going to come after you for non-Federal and non-State artifacts, unless you're talking about a valuable enough item to justify filing a case in Admiralty (Federal) court.

these are very generalized and simplified guidelines. they are not intended as legal advice. please consult an attorney in your area who is qualified to practice admiralty law.

I dont think finding and recovering unmarked items underwater is that big of a deal, you might even be helping out the Eco System in that area. But if you find something that might change history I would recomend you to turn it in to the Historic Society. But when you are talking about salvaging a boat you better check your local laws if its with in 12 miles of the coast line. I have permission from the Army Corp to remove abandon boats from all the Texas waterways but I still need to try and contact the owners by the vin number if its still on the boat. If you do get aholed of the the owner you can bill them for recovering there boat. its kinda like a Mechanic's Lean.

Good Luck and be safe and have some fun with your Boys N@rco$i$

GotAir

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom