What's considered a "good" SAC Rate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doof

Contributor
Reaction score
I just went through my log book and since I've been using the Suunto Cobra and it calculates my SAC Rate for each dive, I figured I'd figure out my average.

I've been averaging about .6. Where does that stand? I have no idea what's considered a "good" SAC Rate, but since I see 1 cubic ft.\min being used in calculations for emergencies, it sounds like .6 is probably respectable. I've had dives where it was down in the .4 range, like down in Cozumel or Florida.

I realize that there isn't really a "good" or "bad" SAC Rate, that the important part is just knowing what yours is and how to use that information, but I was just wondering if I would be considered a hoover or not. :bonk:

.6 is not bad at all. I know folks with lower than .4 but most of them are women. I also know folks with a 1.0 at rest.

My own is around .5 average which can turn into a lot higher when things go off the wire. I use .9 for gas calculations as a worst case scenario.

WW

Mine was .34 for tropical dives, now around .65 for coldwater, mostly doubles.

Phil

0.6 is quite respectable.

I can get into the 0.5 area in warm water with no current.

If I'm shooting fish (which I usually am) I plan on 1.0, and am usually in the 0.7-0.8 range, especially right now with the water being colder, murkier, with a stiffer current and being in a drysuit.

When Im tieing in (heavy work) Im around a .8 normal diving .5.

I have a SAC Rate of .72 and that is non stop moving with doubles and a stage. I usually plan my dives for this b/c if there comes a need for heavy work, I will have enough gas. My normal SAC rate for moderate activity is about .58 on a single 80 and .61 with doubles and a stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom