Removing items from the USS Oriskany (interesting dilemma)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradshsi:
Now the thing that is unclear to me is whether by purposely sinking the Oriskany the US government abandoned it's title claim. However if the US government did not, then the following paragraph makes the legality of salvage quite clear:

If the US Government "abondoned" it's title claim, then there has to be paperwork to surpport. Namely a DD-1149 form.

There will be a DD-1149 form transferring ownership and would require witness(signature) from DCMA.

This is standard procedure with Defense equipment, whether it's transfer of a hinge on a port hole or a warship being transferred from one government organization to another. (Note, there is also a DD-250 on file from when the government took possesion of the ship from Newport News and the "sell off" was completed.)

So... If Florida now owns it, there is paperwork to support it.

Oriskany Divemaster:
so I'm packing my bag and hitting the road on sort of a National Treasure Scavenger Hunt/Home Decorating Adventure.
I like a guy who thinks big! I'm in! I need the torch from the Statue of Liberty for my street lamp. I also want a souvenier from Stone Mountain. After all, they only take it for granite.

Just wait until someone decides to dive and bring up artifacts from the USS Arizona, and then watch a bunch of 85 year old veterans beat the crap out of him....

Rick Murchison:
Couple of points...
Oriskany is about 22 miles from Pensacola pass; she's about 17 miles off the beach.
The "salvageability" of any wreck is tied to who owns it, and whether it has been "abandoned" - regardless of whose waters it happens to lie in, so nitpicking the location w/r/t jurisdiction for other purposes is irrelevant. The fact is that Florida has not "abandoned" Oriskany, is still the owner, is actively protecting it and is perfectly in the right of prosecuting anyone who takes anything other than what the state says can be taken.
Again, comparing artificial reefs to actual wrecks is a red herring. The owner of an object doesn't relinquish ownership - or rights - just by placing it on the bottom of the sea on purpose... the object must also be "abandoned." And to "abandon" something the owner pretty much has to either state that it's been abandoned, or make no attempt to protect or recover it for *years*.
Taking stuff off real wrecks may or may not be legal, depending on the wreck's status.
Taking stuff off Oriskany is just simple thievery.
Rick

Rick... you have such a way with words. Nicely said!

mike_s:
Just wait until someone decides to dive and bring up artifacts from the USS Arizona, and then watch a bunch of 85 year old veterans beat the crap out of him....

i think the MPs might take care of that first

i'd missed that the first time around

thanks a lot

NOT

:wink:

dherbman:
:shakehead Stop, you're hurting me. :wink:
No, no, he's punishing you :)
Rick

oh, Pete the Pun-isher

i love that!!

(brilliant, Rick)