Diving in a rain storm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chaseh:
Lightning shouldn't be any concern in the ocean when you're at depth.

Although I believe you are correct on this, surfacing to do your safety stop and then reboarding a dive boat pose potential dangers. What goes down, must come up... eventually... at least we hope.

I had my OW certification dives out in the rain at a local area lake. As long as its not lightning or hurricane type conditions I wouldn't worry about a little rain.

I've dove in the rain in the Keys, in Cozumel, at Table Rock (my 'local') lake and even did my cavern training dives in the rain. I dove once when it was raining so hard, I had to put my dry suit on at the dock under cover. I have come up to be informed that a shower had blown thru that I was unaware of.

Only once was lightening involved. I was helping another diver locate dock mooring anchors that had lost cables during a storm a couple of days prior. A storm blew up while we were doing this and we heard a crack of thunder and got out of the water before the reverberations stopped. Of course we were around metal docks, cables, and other assorted 'attractors'.

Rain doesn't bother me, being a fuse does.

I was diving a Florida spring earlier this summer and noticed the light mellow out a bit. Several minutes later, I noticed some flashing, and I looked around to see where the pair of cave-diving photographers I'd seen earlier had gone. Then I remembered. They'd left about half an hour ago... and I hadn't seen anyone else with photog kit...

I looked up from what I'd been studying to see the surface roiling from a torrential downpour and thunderstorm. The next thought was "Oh, *NUTS*, I left my sunroof open! Gotta get it closed." The thought after that was "Phooey! I haven't even done my deep stop yet." Accepting that the drenching of the inside of my car was something I could not change, I made my ascent with extra-long stops, and by the time I was running low on air, the storm had passed.

I lost four rechargeable AAs, a power supply, most of a cell phone (it's my emergency backup now), and a bunch of soggy stuff due to the storm. Nobody saw it coming, though, so I didn't have to kick myself. (Even the guys topside were taken by surprise.)

A few weeks ago, I was diving Morrison Spring, also in Florida, and I saw the signs of an impending isolated thunderstorm. I quickly got in the pool right as the rain was arriving, and there was only a tiny bit of drizzle when I surfaced (the thunder long gone). When I was coming back up out of the spring, I was treated to one of the coolest visuals I'd seen in a while. The sediment running down from the big sandlot parking/beach/etc. area was pouring into the spring run, and it created what I can best describe as an upside-down underwater haboob. The spring basin was still almost perfectly clear (the classes had bailed, of course) with this "dust storm" perfectly intact as it headed down the run.

Stormbringer:
I had my OW certification dives out in the rain at a local area lake. As long as its not lightning or hurricane type conditions I wouldn't worry about a little rain.

I did my AOW dives in the rain in May down at Beaver Lake, AR. It wasn't my first choice, as sun would've been great, but oh well. :14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom