Regulator servicing; do it yourself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm:
The secret to doing it is all in becoming an authorized factory sevice technician.

That would be great if it were possible for most people. I've never been in an lds that was interested in helping someone do that unless they were already an employee. YMMV, but for me(and divers like me), it's not even an option. As long as the manufacturers of my equipment continue to refuse to deal with me, I'll continue to sidestep their silly rules.

I dl'd the Genesis manuals from Frogkick.dk.

Special tools i will need according to the manuals:
Regulator support handle
HP seat tool
Seat extractor tool
Valor preadjustment tool
Ring tool
In-Line adjustment tool
magnahelic gauge
intermediate pressure test gauge

1. Can you give advice on where to get these tools?

2. Are any of these tools brand specific?

3. i think someone mentioned using the scuba pressure gauge as an intermediate pressure gauge. how do you do that?

4. the manuals i dl'd at frockick.dk look pretty complete. are there any other manuals or books that i need?

Thanks in advance,

Brad

viajerochevere:
I dl'd the Genesis manuals from Frogkick.dk.

Special tools i will need according to the manuals:
Regulator support handle
HP seat tool
Seat extractor tool
Valor preadjustment tool
Ring tool
In-Line adjustment tool
magnahelic gauge
intermediate pressure test gauge

1. Can you give advice on where to get these tools?

2. Are any of these tools brand specific?

3. i think someone mentioned using the scuba pressure gauge as an intermediate pressure gauge. how do you do that?

4. the manuals i dl'd at frockick.dk look pretty complete. are there any other manuals or books that i need?

Thanks in advance,

Brad

www.scubatools.com

IP guage needs to have a scale that reads from 0 to 200 or 300 psi. An automotive compression guage with adaptor from scubatools does the job. In-Line adjustment tool is nice to have but not necessary. Magnahelic gauge is even more of a luxury for the professional bench. I'd bet there are plenty of LDSs that do not have one.

awap:
IP guage needs to have a scale that reads from 0 to 200 or 300 psi. An automotive compression guage with adaptor from scubatools does the job. In-Line adjustment tool is nice to have but not necessary. Magnahelic gauge is even more of a luxury for the professional bench. I'd bet there are plenty of LDSs that do not have one.

Manometers (pressure gauges) are surprisingly cheap.
Even a 3 1/2" medium precision one will only cost you around 20USD.
If you choose a medium precision gauge try to ensure that your working IP is around 70-75% of full scale as between 25% and 75% of the full scale reading is where the gauge is more accurate.
Typically 2% between 25% and 75% of full scale and 3% outside this range.
If you buy a precision gauge for a little more, precision is typically 1% of full scale over the whole scale.
If you work on European and US regs get one with a dual scale, Bar and PSI.

So does it depend on the brand if the warenty is voided? If so, seems like I would want to buy a used reg....

Kwbyron:
So does it depend on the brand if the warenty is voided? If so, seems like I would want to buy a used reg....
Depends. Some brands allow dealers to sell parts to whomever they wish. Mine doesn't(Aqualung), but it's trivial to get around it. I personally like chrome brass 2nds, which few new regulators have, so I buy used Conshelf regs anyway.

Hi there.
I too believe in the adage "if you want something done right, do it yourself." Of course the caveat to this is to make sure you know what you're doing in the first place. Anything betond your skills should be referred to a higher authority. Thus, my question is directed toward those who do their own servicing: Given a modest degree of technical prowess, which brand or model of regulator is the easiest to maintain?
Thanks! :D

Doc Ed:
Hi there.
I too believe in the adage "if you want something done right, do it yourself." Of course the caveat to this is to make sure you know what you're doing in the first place. Anything betond your skills should be referred to a higher authority. Thus, my question is directed toward those who do their own servicing: Given a modest degree of technical prowess, which brand or model of regulator is the easiest to maintain?
Thanks! :D

Mares Abyss, no nonsence reg, very good performence, easy to overhaul

Back in the day I was a salvage diver in S. America. We were on our own when it came to maintianing our gear. I have a bunch of 70s era USD regs and a few Voit Swimmaster regs (which I think are great). Trying to find parts is damn near impossible. Any suggestions as to a resource for rebuild kits? Also, looking for source for parts to maintian a USD Luchard portable compressor.

Back
Top Bottom