Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Odd question here but, Is it true that a Glock is dishwasher safe?
(i have a friend who's mum is in the PSNI and he told me this, i thought it sounded fishy)

There have been rumors of Glocks being washed in dishwashers. It can be done, but I think they are "top rack only".

Seriously, at our department we have an ultrasonic gun cleaner that we use. You disassmble the gun and put the metal parts (slide and barrel) into the cleaning solution, flick the switch, and presto, a clean gun!

TJcop:
There have been rumors of Glocks being washed in dishwashers. It can be done, but I think they are "top rack only".

And they must be dried in the "Air Dry" setting :eyebrow:

You have to be careful around Glock-o-philes though. They have been known to beat people (sometimes with the Glocks themselves) who mockingly make references to "dishwasher-safe" and especially "Tupperware" :11:

(I'm a Sig-Sauer man for those who are wondering)

There's no good reason to do it, but most guns - including all standard military and police sidearms - could be safely washed in the dishwasher. You'd just need to remove wood grips or stocks if they have them, Glocks don't. The only thing to watch out for would be rust on any (non-stainless) steel parts, but a typical wash cycle wouldn't do them in as long they were thoroughly dried and relubed immediately afterwards.

The real reason for this joke is that Glocks were the first police/military pistol to have their receivers made out of polymer (plastic) rather than metal. Traditionalists did not like it one bit, but time has proven this design has many advantages. So much so that most pistol manufacturers have introduced similar pistols, either alongside or replacing their all-metal lines.

TJ thanks for all your answers to these questions, but I have a question for you.
Yesterday, I was riding my motorcycle through a 2 lane road, that was merging into a 1 lane road. I was in the right lane, and travelling directly parallel to me in the left lane was a Saturn. We were both at the same speed and coming towards the merge point and the Saturn was getting AWFUL close. As a MSF(Motorcycle Safety Course) trained rider, I was told to "accelerate away from danger", so feeling the onset of a dangerous situation, I sped up(exceeding the speed limit) and got in front of the Saturn. Of course, as soon as I got in front, who should be there, but our friendly neighborhood LEO. He gave me a ticket for speeding and illegal passing on the right. Would I have a leg to stand on in an appeal as a state recognized training agency trains me to do what I did?

--L

lord1234:
TJ thanks for all your answers to these questions, but I have a question for you.
Yesterday, I was riding my motorcycle through a 2 lane road, that was merging into a 1 lane road. I was in the right lane, and travelling directly parallel to me in the left lane was a Saturn. We were both at the same speed and coming towards the merge point and the Saturn was getting AWFUL close. As a MSF(Motorcycle Safety Course) trained rider, I was told to "accelerate away from danger", so feeling the onset of a dangerous situation, I sped up(exceeding the speed limit) and got in front of the Saturn. Of course, as soon as I got in front, who should be there, but our friendly neighborhood LEO. He gave me a ticket for speeding and illegal passing on the right. Would I have a leg to stand on in an appeal as a state recognized training agency trains me to do what I did?

--L

Keep in mind laws will vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

In Texas, the vehicle in the left lane would have the right of way if two vehicles are merging into a lane, meaning you would yield to that vehicle.

As far as the speeding goes, there is no defense for a civilian exceeding the speed limit. You can appear in court to explain your situation as mitigation, but it probably will not get you off the hook. The judge can use the mitigating evidence in setting punishment.

In MA it is the same way...however we were neck and neck, and I couldn't hit my brakes because there was a car behind me and I would have gotten rear ended...I was AVOIDING an accident...isn't that a mitigating circumstance to throw out the ticket?

lord1234:
In MA it is the same way...however we were neck and neck, and I couldn't hit my brakes because there was a car behind me and I would have gotten rear ended...I was AVOIDING an accident...isn't that a mitigating circumstance to throw out the ticket?

Mitigating evidence is what you present to say "Yeah, I broke the law, but he is why..." It all depends on the judge, and maybe what kind of coffee he/she drank that morning. He/she could place you on deferred adjudication, and dismiss the ticket after a probationary period. Or, He/she could fine you an amount he feels is just based on the mitigating evidence. A worst case scenario is he/she fines you the full amount, and tacks on court costs.

Basically, by going to court you are stepping up to the craps table, and rolling the dice.

Any chance the officer who issued the citation witnessed your dilemma, and would he be a stand up guy in court?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom