Diving in a rain storm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

offroaddiver

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've actually heard mixed views on this subject. I've never actually had any diving planned when it actually was raining. I know that lightning is always bad news. I also remember how bad vis was after a rainstorm. So just curious-

Would you dive when it's raining?

How about during a thunderstorm?

Personally I don't see any problem in diving when it's a light shower, and I wonder if i've ever just missed a storm while diving.

Also to take into consideration... ocean, lake and quarry?

Diving in the rain? Well, your gear could get wet...
I actually asked this question in my OW course, and that was the response from the instructor. No worries diving in the rain.

I have dived in Table Rock Lake and Beaver Lake when it was raining and didn't have any problems! Just figured since I was going to be wet anyway, why not just dive in and have some fun!

Yes, lightning is a huge concern, but diving when it is only raining, shouldn't be a big problem. Visibility sucks in these lakes for the most part anyway!

I wouldn't let a small rainstorm - be it in a lake or the ocean - be the cause of an aborted dive.

Sure, I'd dive in the rain. I have on two separate occasions. I actually like it a great deal, but I like rain. I will not dive when there's lightning in the area however.

How funny... I just had this experience the first time last weekend. I'm sort of mixed... It was very neat to look up and watch it go from sprinkle to rain.. the sound was interesting to. The thought of lightning didn't bother me. As long as I stayed under water I am not the tallest object and I don't believe I've seen dead fish floating around after a water lightning strike. On the flip side, if one has to exit due to low air this could prove to be interesting. Last week was interesting as the exit was pretty much right by the car and under shelter of tree's and the main front of the storm was already gone so we got a gear rinse. Incidently, the lightning underwater was like a flash strobe and there was no thunder sound... kinda surreal.

Conversely I've been topside waiting for divers to return with a NASTY storm blowing in and the divers were totally oblivious to the maylay going on, but we beachside watchers.. well, lets just say it was interesting!

offroaddiver:
Yes -- you're wet anyway; not going to get any wetter either way.
How about during a thunderstorm?
Not intentionally -- been there, done that....it's scary as hell. :11:

One of the most memorable dives of my life took place in the rain. I was once invited to dive on one of Cornwallis' ships that was being researched in Yorktown, VA. It was pouring down rain and I could have cared less at the time. I don't mess with lightening but other than that, I dive rain or shine.

CBulla:
Conversely I've been topside waiting for divers to return with a NASTY storm blowing in and the divers were totally oblivious to the maylay going on, but we beachside watchers.. well, lets just say it was interesting!
Colin,
If you were referring to the Venice
"Washing Machine" dive, as you so aptly dubbed it
It wasn't completely unnoticed.
There was the sudden darkness and
an increase of surge of about 3-4 fold.

BTW thanks again for rucking the gear.
I for one, owe you and Brian one.
(and anyone else left unmentioned)

Brian (the other one)

rain sounds cool underwater.

Lightning shouldn't be any concern in the ocean when you're at depth.

offroaddiver:

I'd prlly melt I'm so sweet:blinking:

Ok well my dive partner disagree, ok well a lot
We do dive no matter the weather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom