Lucaya Bahamas Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was down in the Bahamas last week and was with Lost Island Voyages. The boat was the same length (65 ft) as the Blackbeards Cruise, but with far less people.

Started the week off by diving just outside of Port Lucaya and then moving towards the West End and north of Grand Bahama over the next few days. We dove Theo's wreck and the Sea Star wreck before heading around the West End at night.

Water temperatures were around 95F (air temp), with topside water temps starting around 84F, and at depth (102 FSW) around 80F.

After hitting the northern part, we were able to snorkel with wild Spotted Dolphins and dive with Carribbean Reef, Black Tips, and Nurse sharks. None of these encounters, be it with the dolphins or with the sharks, were part of any "extra" package; just part of diving in nature's aquarium!

We also dove the Sugar wreck which had a lot of marine life, both day and night. Being that this wreck was made of iron, the debris had not detoriated much over 170+ years! In addition to that, it was at 22 feet, so bottom times were excellent, which added to the excitement of seeing more marine life.

We dove the Abacos - Grand Cay and Walker's Cay - which was close to where I swam with the Reef sharks. All I can say is that these creatures are extremely beautiful to watch!

Anyway, a mini report of my trip. We did not have a guide, merely all the divers on the trip guiding each other around. We had a dive briefing beforehand, explaining marine life, wrecks, depths, currents and tides, etc., but that was about it.

Bill

cleung:
You are within walking distance of Unexso so that would be the most convenient. They also have the dolphin dive.

I walked over to UNEXSO while in Freeport and wasn't too impressed with their dive shop. The people working there weren't divers and didn't really know much about what was going on. The shop also didn't carry much in the way of equipment.

I was actually surprised that there weren't more dive shops in Freeport. Maybe there were, but where I was (Port Lucaya), there weren't.

It was about 2 years ago, but I used UNEXSO when I was over for a week. It was handy as I stayed at the Our Lucaya resort, and thought the boats and the service were more than adequate.

My trip report with pictures can be found here.

Marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom