We are going to Curacao & Bonaire, any reccommenations on Dive Operator/Hotels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman:
AA does not fly between the islands, Divi Divi and DAE are your only choices. :)
They are AA to me sorry. Codeshare agreements make them AA flights for me, just to clarify.

Dyvingluvly:
I am an advance diver, so I am interested in wall and swim through diving. Thank you in advance to all that reply to this message.:wink:
note that Bonaire doesn't really have walls or swim throughs.

I would urge you to check into Sunset waters Beach resort in Curacao. In my opinion they have the best location on the island. Very good resort reef, great beach!

We stayed at the Marriott in May and loved it. It is one of the nicest hotels in Curacao. The house reef was decent, but not the best on the island. We dove with the dive bus, it was a great operation and Mark was lots of fun.

We will be going to Bonaire in August for the first time, and chose to stay at Buddy's. A lot of people on the board recomended Buddy's when I was inquiring.

Thank you all for your recommendations on dive shops and hotels. I really appreciate the information.

stangscuba98a:
They are AA to me sorry. Codeshare agreements make them AA flights for me, just to clarify.

AA code shares with DD and/or DCE?? How do I go about using AA to get to Curacao and then DD or DCE to Bonaire as a code share? The only way I knew to get to Bonaire on AA was via PR. The Miami to Cur AA flight and a code share would be something I would be interested in but I have not heard of anyone doing it. Any info you have would be of interest.

Sorry about the thread hijack.

Check out Lodge Kura Hulanda (not the Kura Hulanda hotel downtown) in Curacao. It is in Westpunt, at the very northwest end of the island. This place is fabulous. There is a dive shop right there (Ocean Encounters West), and make sure to take a boat dive to Watamula. This is, IMHO, the best dive on the island. Better than the more famous Mushroom Forest, but that will be the second dive on the boat trip. I really cannot imagine going to Cuaracao and staying anywhere else.

My first trip to Bonaire in 2001 with Natasha's group, we stayed at Plaza Resort and dove with Toucan Diving. Resort is very nice but pricey (to my taste). Toucan Diving is top notch however. Every dive boat has fruits, water, juice and new towels for divers.

Second trip to Bonaire in 2004 with snorkeling-only wifey included Curaçao. We spent 7 days on Bon first and 5 on Cur. On Bon we stayed at Divi Divi, which is much cheaper than Plaza and still nice. Divi Dive is the in-house dive operator and decent, but isn't at the same level as Toucan Diving. BTW, Toucan is rated very high in Rodale's magazine by divers. In-house restaurant Chibi Chibi is my choice over other restaurants at Plaza though.

To Cur we flew on Bonaire Express, which I believed has changed its name to something else now. Cost was around $90 o/w. Here we stayed at the Chogogo Resort. It's by the Jan Thiel marine park and not built for divers. One word of advice, if you are the only diver, it's best to stay at a diver's hotel/resort, where you could dive solo without restrictions. Cur local laws don't allow single diver to check out tanks like on Bon.

Check out our incomplete site www.paradiselovers.com.

Email me if you have more questions. We're in SoCal also. Have fun diving!

From another So Cal to another :)

There are a lot of options on Bonaire. It really depends on if you want on the water, house reef, condo, no kitchen, restaurant, pool, etc. Also check out http://www.bonairetalk.com and http://infobonaire.com (click on accommodations) to see choices.

Just got back from my sixth trip and will be missing the warm water in a week when we take our boat to Catalina to do some diving...BRRRRR! That first cold water dive after a nice warm water vacation is...:errrr:...envigorating!

Back
Top Bottom