My trip to Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rutje

Registered
Reaction score
I just got back from my trip in Costa Rica. I went to the Pacific side (Playas del Coco) and I really loved it. The diving was great and way different than all the other places I've been diving before. I dove with Rich Coast Diving and it seems to me that they are very professional and very experienced divers. Not only did I like their professionalism but also their social skills. During, but also after the dives there was always time to laugh and talk. Sometimes we even went out for dinner or to the karaoke bar with the crew and the divers, I really enjoyed my time there. I stayed in Coco for two weeks and I went diving almost everyday with them. I also went to Bat Island and that was the first time I've seen Bull sharks. That day (16th of June) we saw sixteen bull sharks. At first I was a little bit nervous but after Martin en Brenda (Rich Coast) told me that nothing ever happened before in Costa Rica, I went down and had the best dive of my life. The visibility was perfect, so we sat down on our knees and after a while the bull sharks just circled around us. It was a great experience. Also the fish etc. are bigger there than at the local dive sites so it's definitely worth the trip and the extra money. The local dive sites (Punta Argentina, Tortuga etc) however were perfect as well. I've seen a lot of white tip reef sharks, spotted eagle rays, stingrays, octopus, clown shrimp etc. But if you wanna see Bull Sharks you have to go to Bat Island (May-Oct). Martin and Brenda told me that in Nov-Feb it is the whale shark season and also the manta season so if you have a choice you should go there during that time of the year. However during one of my dive trips (2nd June-16th June) other divers have seen a whale shark which is very rare for that time of the year. Unfortunately I MISSED IT!!! Because I had a lot of air left when other divers were out of air already, I went back to a wreck with Brenda (one of the instructors and also owner). So the other divers went back to the boat and bumped into the whale shark.... aahhh!!! Maybe next time!!! The last thing I wanna say about Rich Coast is that their boat was very comfortable as well, they have a tri-maran which is very stable and has a lot of space. They have plenty of very experienced staff in my opinion and that's the reason they dive in small groups which is very convenient and safe! So if you wanna dive in Costa Rica--> Playas del Coco and Rich Coast Diving is the place to be!!! And if you don't know where to stay in Coco, I arranged everything through their website because they also do packages . I stayed at Puerta del Sol, a nice small place with a good restaurant. If anyone has questions, don't hesitate to ask me.

Nice post, nice trip. A thousand thanks for taking the time to share it!

My hubby and I are leaving for Costa Rica tomorrow and will check out Rich Coast. Thank you!!

Bull sharks circling? Yikes.

Great Report

Thanks for sharing

I was in the pacific side of Costa Rica last May and your report brings back some Great Memories.

JDelage
Top side in CR is wonderful and full of things to do and the people are very nice but

BUT

The roads are Horid! each year they get worse and there is no clear plan on when they are going to fix them ??? Besides that I think you will Love CR!

My Two Colonies

GotAir

The country is beautiful. It's really green, lots of things to do, great nature and friendly people.
There is a big variety in wildlife, under water and above the water. I've seen differnt monkeys, sloths, pizotes, raccoons, deers, alligators, and many many birds.
So far, I've never heard a negative word about the country towards, regular life (of course there are exceptions of small robberies, but that's every where now a days.)
If you need more information, just drop us an email.
Have fun and enjoy the country!

There are mini vans for $25 per person or the public bus at pulimatan station.
The bus ride is 5 hours and cost only $5. It stops at the center of Coco (final stop)
It's a good trip and great scenery.
Enjoy!

rainmaker:
Thanks for a great report. Assuming you arrived at San Jose from the US, how did you get to Playas del Coco?

Save yourself the hassle avoid San Jose and fly into Liberia. Much easier. (Not that there is anything wrong with San Jose but it is just easier).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom