Niagara River Dive Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wing_nut

Reaction score
I am looking for some detailed info in regards to the Niagara River drift dives. What depth, how long of a drift, Vis to expect. If anyone knows a good site to find this please pass it on. I will be in the St. Catherine area the week of the 17th and would like to get in a few dives at least.

I live in Niagara Falls and dive the River on a weekly basis (most of the time)

There are about 4 different drifts you can do in the Niagara River, max depth of about 40 feet or so, however you ushally get a depth of 30-35 feet for most of your dive. Vis can be anywhere from 20 feet to 3 feet, depending on the weather ect. but ushally is around 10 or so feet. Times on the drifts depend on the drift your doing and the speed of the current, ushally anywhere from 40-50 minutes.

The different dives are:
Coal Docks (Ft Erie) to Frenchmans Creek
Frenchmans Creek to Blackcreek
Blackcreek to Boyers Creek
You can also enter at Boyers Creek and get out about 2km down the road (thats where we park the vehicles)

Hope this helps, If you want anymore info feel free to PM or email me

On your drift dives how do you get back to your parked car? Do you go with a dive op and just boat it back?

All the above drift dives are shore entry and exit. There are public parking areas at the entry and exit points, so you only need a second vehicle to accomodate the return to the entry point.

We also dive in the Chippawa River (Thorold River). It runs from the Niagara River throught the town of Chippawa and on and down to the Thorold power station.
There several public entry and exit points along it as well.
Depth is about 25' to 30' and the visability runs about the same as the Niagara (2'- 20'... 10' Typically).
If you're diving as a pair with just one car, we like to drop the dive gear off at the entry point, which is right at the mouth of the river and drop the car off at the 1st bridge which is our exit point. It's then just a short walk back to the entry point. We'll scrounge around and take our time on the drift and then scrounge under the bridge before the exit. We usually make it into an hour dive.
You'll need to be prepared to fight the current a bit... it can be strong, so grab onto those rocks.
If you just drift, this will be a short dive, probably 5 to 7 minutes... but you can do it several time if you want.

The St. Catherines dive shop organizes a Wednesday night dive for it's patrons. They usually do one of the drift dives. There's no cost (except for air and rentals if needed), so if you're interested in joining them, just meet at the shop around 5:30pm for air fills, rentals and directions.

Have fun.

On your drift dives how do you get back to your parked car?

When Im diving with someone who does not have a car/truck, we will lock up a bike at the exit and whoever is driving will peddle back to the vehicle and return to the exit to pick up the gear and second diver.

Do you go with a dive op

As Soggy said the dive shop in St Catharines (which is the shop I go to) have Wednesday night and Saturday dives which we attend each week, they can be anything from drift to quarry or on rare occasions charter.

thanks guys. That makes a lot of sense. Maybe when I'm back in the area I'll be lucky enough to check out the sites.

Hi, heading up to niagara river this weekend, what kind of water temps am I looking at, and I was told these will be good bottle dives, is this true?
thanks

The River Temps are running about 70 degrees. There is no thermocline, because it is moving water. Depending on where you are diving, the depth usually goes 25-35 feet.
There are still some nice bottles to be found. The current moves along pretty quickly, so the idea is grab anything that looks like a bottle, then determine if you want to keep it or not. Concerning the River...In delay there lies no plenty!

Are you diving with a group?

Out of all of the diving I have done in the niagara river, the one I like the most is Gilmore rd to bowen road.You can leave a vehicle across from the park at bowen, and park along the river. Their is a little bar at gilmore rd and the niagara parkway , you can park if you plan on returning for a beverage or snack, to get to the river, just cross the street and follow the path,easy entry. you wanna get out into the current It is about a 45 minute drift. Lots of bass, musky, carp, sheephead ,At about 25-30 minutes into the dive you will go under the train bridge,watch for piller! The current picks up just beyond the bridgeabout 5 minutes after passing the bridge,start swimming with the current towards the shore (west). It is a nice easy walkout to you vehicle. Then return to the other vehicle and fill out logs an the patio at the bar along the river at gilmore.
Good Luck,
Sharkbaitbilly!:D

On the US side Discover Diving does a river drift dive every Wednesday evening. They enter at one end of Isleview Park and exit near the other end, There are enough divers so that you have vehicles at both ends. They usually cook Hotdogs afterwards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom