Which dives recommended for Pattaya or Koh Samet ,Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

juggernutt

Reaction score
Hi All,

In July I'll be in Thailand. Will be staying in either Koh Samet or Pattaya.
Which is teh better place for Diving?
Any great divesites?

I read that in Pattaya the wreckdiving is very good. Can you compare it with the liberty dive at Bali? I liked that..esspecially at night.

In July I'll be in Thailand. Will be staying in either Koh Samet or Pattaya.

Which is teh better place for Diving?

At this time of year probably Pattaya - Weather has been gross of late off Samet which makes Samet's best site (only site some would argue) , Hin Plueng (2 hours away in open sea without shelter), out of reach. So based on nearness, shelter and bigger boats Pattaya will have the definte advantage. dont forgte samesan also - the hardeep is probably the best dive in the eastern gulf apart from plueng and its in a very sheltered location (make sure you dive on slack tide though - its def a tough dive if not on a slack tide ).

Any great divesites?

No

I read that in Pattaya the wreckdiving is very good. Can you compare it with the liberty dive at Bali?

No comparision at all. Not even an n'th

Oh poo,

I was planning to go to Samet in July (the long weekend) and hoped to dive there. I guess there's nothing in Rayong either?

Maybe I'll do Koh Samui instead.....

Yeah. but I've done Pattaya a lot. I fancy a change and Samet is still within a bus ride from BKK. Guess this time will be a non-diving trip.

Is there any decent snorkling there?

spog:
Is there any decent snorkling there?

nah, its on a par with pattaya if the weathers ok. the problem is its too close to the mainland so water run off is a big issue when it rains. plueng is really good when the conditions are ok but you need a flat sea. its two underwater pinaccles with a sand bottom about 28 meters. if you want to go call toy divers or villa bali (if you search i have posted the phone numbers b4) a couple of days b4 to see if they are going out - thye have decent sized boats but you would have to go to leam mae phim instead of samet. villa bali has a fabulous little hotel but toy is the better dive op.

when plueng is good (october to april or if there is a break in the weather) its the best site on the eastern gulf easily. of the things i have seen there - whaleshark, marlin feeding, bicol blennies, dolphin (on surface), biggest anem carpet in the east gulf, a 2 meter jellyfish, and candy crabs (at talu).

Lmp is a great little town with fab (and cheap) seafood.

rayong, apparantly has two offshore pinaccles but nobody dives em - i was planning to rent a fishing boat and get out to them but have never gotten around to it.

Thanks whitehead...

The weather at Ko Samet is bad? I thought it was the driest island in Thailand? Is the weather in July not that good here?

juggernutt:
Thanks whitehead...

I thought it was the driest island in Thailand?

i have had a few hangovers that may contest that :blinking:

weather is an odd thing in Thailand, esp. in rainy season - could be glorious, could be crap. Right now its "crap". Its warm but theres no blue skys - some prefer the rainy season though, I pers like it cos i am not a "sun lover". Just makes being at sea touch and go. you will still have a fab time just the diving will not be as it can be in the dry season.

right now we are in classic monsoon weather - wild grey skys and a huge water dump everyday plus lightning etc etc, although its pretty clear in the mornings its only for an hour or so.

thanks man...how long could this weather last you think?
I am arriving in end of july and if the weather stinks..rather be in pattaya IMO..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom