Bring back the tanks from Canada?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a dumb question on the tank transportation. I plan to go up to Canada for the weekend diving with my own tanks and then go back to State. It is going to be 6~7 tanks.

Is there any additional requirement to get through the border with the scuba tanks after the trip? This is the first time to bring my own tanks to Canada and get back, so I am wondering if there is any additional hassle after 9/11?

It's certainly legal to bring the tanks across the border in both directions, however, like anything else, whether it takes 6 hours and requires emptying the tanks and taking the valves out for inspection depends completely on the Customs Agent.

I do it a couple of times/year and haven't had any problems, but a couple of my friends get stopped quite often.

Just go and enjoy and don't worry. The worst that will happen is that you'll lose some time.

Terry

hoosier:
Hi,

I am a dumb question on the tank transportation. I plan to go up to Canada for the weekend diving with my own tanks and then go back to State. It is going to be 6~7 tanks.

Is there any additional requirement to get through the border with the scuba tanks after the trip? This is the first time to bring my own tanks to Canada and get back, so I am wondering if there is any additional hassle after 9/11?

I take my tanks back and forth across the border with no problems. They have never been inspected by the border patrol on either side.

That being said however, I do make sure that when I buy tanks that they meet DOT (US) and TC (Canada) specifications and that it is stamped on the tank.

Thanks guys... To drain the air on the tank is ok if they don't take my tanks :wink:

Just out of curiosity, Is there annual VIP in Canada?

hoosier:
Just out of curiosity, Is there annual VIP in Canada?

Yes.

We go back and forth quite regularly, and this situation has never arisen for us. It's not even on their radar from what I can tell down our way.

Also if you really want to be sure you can always stop off at US customs 1st get them to look at them as well as written permission to reneter with them , then enter Canada customs.

But I think that is asking for trouble IMHO

I have never every had any trouble with my tanks (Canada to US and back). The worst that has happened is the scanner picked up the large metal bomb shaped doubles and they made me unpack my gear. One look at the tanks and I was passed though.

Dove on the St. Lawrence last weekend and crossed the border at 1000 Islands. No problems or even questions about the tanks at the border. Had fun diving the Keystorm and drinking in the Keystorm in Brockville. Still a bit cold though at 54 degrees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom