Aruba quandry. What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me describe my Pelican experience on the Antilla. If it sounds like your kind of adventure, go for it!

We arrived at the dock/shop. but no one was ready for us. We hung around until almost departure time. No boat. Nobody. Finally, the boat arrived after its last trip. A young lady left it to take care of business. She had to check out everyone who was on that trip and then check in everyone for our trip.

After she checked us in, we asked what we were supposed to do. She came out from behind the window and started to check the pressure in tanks so we could use them. She gave us our tanks, but told us not to get on the boat until the crew arrived. (We were past the scheduled departure time.) When the crew arrived--clearly in no particular hurry--we all jumped on the boat with our equipment and tanks and started to set up. One of the crew--evidently the DM--called us up onto the dock for our briefing. Only a couple of us heard him. We stood around waiting for him to start the briefing while he made a couple of other half-hearted attempts to get everyone else to stop setting up and listen to him. Eventually, the skipper told him to give up because it was time to shove off. We all got back in the boat and started to gear up for the very short trip to the Antilla.

We had almost no briefing before we started the dive, but we got the message on the rules very clearly. They would have two DM's--one in the front of the group and one in the back. We were to follow the one in the front without deviation, and the one in the back would make sure no one tried any funny business, like getting out of line.

My buddy and I were the first in the water after the DM, and we waited on the bottom ten minutes while the chaos on the deck cleared out and everyone else got down. We then swam around the wreck for a while, going "into" a couple of inner areas single file.

I did not see what I am about to describe next--I am relying on other reports, including my wife, who as a snorkeler was already on the boat at the end of the dive.

A teenage boy, diving with his brother and father, suddenly panicked at the end of the dive and bolted to the surface. He climbed on the boat and began writhing on the deck in pain, vomiting all over the deck. Crew members came over a couple of times with buckets of water and washed his vomit away. No other assistance was offered.

My buddy and I were the last ones out of the water, and it was then that we saw what was happening. He had stopped vomiting, but he was still in obvious pain. No one from the crew seemed remotely interested. My buddy and I, who both had reasonable training, began basic first aid care. We were glad to see that he seemed to be getting better, since that is not usually true of more serious injuries--like DCS or AGE.

It was a short trip back to the dock. The crew left immediately. The boy seemed a lot better, and we learned he had a history of migraines. Since his symptoms were consistent with migraines, we felt that was the most likely problem, but we strongly advised the family to seek medical attention.

We were supposed to have been given rides back to our hotels, and we learned that the crew that had left was responsible for that job. We found the young lady we had encountered earlier, and she gave us a lift.

I was not entirely pleased with this, and I canceled the rest of my planned dives with them and spent the rest of the trip with Clive. I had a good time.

Your choice. If Pelican seems like your kind of operator, be my guest.

I dove with Clive/Dive Aruba. Great operation and great experience. I'd stick with Clive, if you could. It seems that on SB, he always receives high marks and recommendations.

See if he can arrange to take you to the dive sites of your choice, even though it currently seems he can't. If he really can't, dive with him the rest of your trip and see if you can use another operation for one day to hit the other site(s).

Most people like the Antilla. Some don't. Personal preference. But if you go to Aruba and you choose not to dive it, then you'll kick yourself afterward for skipping the "signature dive."

We have a timeshare in Aruba and go every year. There are big operators there, Pelican and Redsail and small operators like Native Divers and Dive Aruba. I like the small operators. I would rather dive the lagoon looking for Natalie with Native Divers than diving the Antilla with Pelican; just my opinion. I would suggest you try a big operator and a small one and see which one you like.

MikeS:
We have a timeshare in Aruba and go every year. There are big operators there, Pelican and Redsail and small operators like Native Divers and Dive Aruba. I like the small operators. I would rather dive the lagoon looking for Natalie with Native Divers than diving the Antilla with Pelican; just my opinion. I would suggest you try a big operator and a small one and see which one you like.

Go to the Caribbean forum and do a search for Red Sail. See how many good reports you get as opposed to bad reports. See, in fact, if you get any good reports.

boulderjohn:
Go to the Caribbean forum and do a search for Red Sail. See how many good reports you get as opposed to bad reports. See, in fact, if you get any good reports.

I've talked to a lot of divers that like Red Sail. I've done enjoyable dives with Red Sail. There are good points to the big operation, too. You can sign up for a particular dive site in advance, there are nice heads on the boats. I prefer the smaller operators. But I would suggest that you try both and see which experience you like better.

[/QUOTE]Your choice. If Pelican seems like your kind of operator, be my guest.[/QUOTE]

I dove with PA Nov 26 - Dec 2, 2005. I have to say I had a completely different experience with Pelican Adventures. What attracted me was the 7 day unlimited dive package (now 6 days) for $325.00 My wife and I logged 17 wonderful dives with those guys. We stayed at la Cabana and we're picked up every morning (yes, sometimes late but, they picked up others and some times had to wait for the inconsiderates to show up at the pickup point) most days we did 3 dives and they would haul us back to the hotel if we wanted or even drop us at a restraunt if we asked, then in the evening take us back to our hotel, and repeat the same thing the next day. Most of the DM's are also instructors or that was the case when we were there. They had scheduled dives but that was flexable on the south end of the island. I dove antilles several times, but you can dive that ship a dozen times and it would all be different.

There's a retired guy that has two months of time shares and Dives Pelican Adventures He Does 4 dives a day all week long for three weeks in a row and takes a week off and does it again. SAID " I've got to spend a little time with my wife or she gets mad" but dive Pelican cause he thinks the people are the greatest. I agree with him.

I like the boats Pro 42's with a head, and rinse hose, camera wash tank, great for the long ride south. Captain Noel was a great guy, So were the Instructors Femka, Jacki, Diane, Rob, Alex, Scott. These guys worked there buttocks off.

I have been diving off Aruba for the past 10+ yrs. I travel there at the same time as the retired gentleman mentioned below...I see the guy every year! That Thanksgiving time seems to be pretty popular on Aruba.

My experience with Pelican has ALWAYS been super. I am shocked to hear about the "vomit" experience. The crew, from boat captains to instructors has always been top notch. I have gone out for dinner and drinks with most of the crew that is there currently...

I recommend Pelican without reservation...

Email me if you have questions from my experiences - not on this board often enough.

Be safe,
Chris

chris_finnin@yahoo.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom