Aeris Mako Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mako appears to be a stiffer version of the Oceanic Caribe and Oceanic Vector. Moreover, Mares makes the Plana Avanti Tre which also uses the flexible center panel, $45 from Leisurepro in full foot and $50 in open heel (X3). The Caribe is a full foot and costs about $40, the Vector, $52. Both of these brands employ sophisticated flex panels and offset blades. The Mako would have to be quite a piece of work to best the models from Mares and Oceanic.

If I were sitting in a war room plotting my next move and decided to look for a market niche to exploit, this is exactly the recommendation that would follow, to make a stiffer strap fin. It would be a trifle more robust to mollify the yahoos who complain that the Caribe/Vector is a "snorkel fin" but otherwise follow the principles expressed in the competition's existing fins. The question about the Mako is how well did Aeris execute? I have not seen the Mako so all this could be in a cocked hat. However, if any of this is correct it would seem that Aeris made a good business decision.

I always knew Scubaboard was a great way to get quick diver feedback - and now on a fin that isn't available yet! Thanks for your review.

Mr. Krause,

First let me say that my interpretation of this event is that the LDS was sent a pair of Mako Fins to test, and I believe they decided to ...sub-contract, yep that's it. They sub-contracted this task to me. I'm glad they did! I'm already trying to talk my wife into buying a computer, bc, reg, etc. from Aeris.

:51:

talonraid:
Mr. Krause,

First let me say that my interpretation of this event is that the LDS was sent a pair of Mako Fins to test, and I believe they decided to ...sub-contract, yep that's it. They sub-contracted this task to me. I'm glad they did! I'm already trying to talk my wife into buying a computer, bc, reg, etc. from Aeris.

:51:

We're in agreement, I just test dove an Aeris BC, regulator, dive computer, alternate air source, fins and mask in Bonaire and they are all fantastic. We've got some great packages that you ought to check out, along with some great sales on Aeris computers going on right now. Aeris has some fantastic stuff.

PS-got any of that homebrew you want to share?

Britt
CrazyScuba.com

PS-got any of that homebrew you want to share?

Britt
CrazyScuba.com

As a matter of fact I usually have tons of homebrew available. Part of the fun of homebrewing is sharing it, because a brewer typically makes waaaaay more than you could drink. However, I'm in the process of buying/selling homes and moving and I haven't made any in a while. But, I've checked out your website and it looks like ya'lls store is in Dallas. My wife and I are planning on making a weekend trip up there in a month or so with the intent to visit some dive shops. I'll put a few brews in the overnight bag for you. Prost!

I've also had the opportunity to dive with the new MAKO fins. Nestor Palmero brought a few pair of the fins - along with a lot of other Oceanic and Aeris products to our March Divers Direct Key Largo Weekend Dive Getaway for the folks to use on their dives and the response to the fins (as well as the other products) was terrific. I was fortunate that he left a pair with me and I've been using them for a couple of months now and am totally sold on them. They are the first fins that I have found that are able to favorably compare - and perform IMHO - to the thrust and maneuverability of the Mares Quattros that I've used for several years. And...they are light-weight and can easily be modified (which I've done) to accept spring straps. When these fins hit the general market they should be fantastic sellers - especially at the price point that Nestor was discussing.

Frogman48:
.... And...they are light-weight and can easily be modified (which I've done) to accept spring straps. When these fins hit the general market they should be fantastic sellers - especially at the price point that Nestor was discussing.

Frogman, what type of spring straps did you use on these fins? DIY, or a commercial brand? I'm considering buying a pair of these fins and want to put spring straps on them if I do. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom