A few pics from Santa Rosa's BH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Quite an operation going on there. The young fellow I spoke with said that he didn't know of any plans to reinforce the walls - that all they were doing was removing silt from the bottom. The way they're doing it tho, traping it in a special place in the front parking lot makes this a big operation, with a crane to move concrete barriers and hold a submerged pump. The water was quite cloudY. Only saw buBBles from one diver at noon. Since We cannot load attachments, I'll load these from today this way...

D-D-144.jpg

D-D-124.jpg

D-D-114.jpg

D-D-104.jpg

D-D-094.jpg

D-D-084.jpg

D-D-074.jpg

D-D-064.jpg

D-D-054.jpg

D-D-054.jpg

D-D-034.jpg

D-D-024.jpg

D-D-014.jpg

Oops

Thanks for the pictures Don! I hadn't seen this particular operation yet.

Looks like quite the mess.....

Wow thnx for the pics.. Maybe I will have to take a road trip just to see it, looks pretty crazy...

So how long is all this supposed to continue? Anyone know of a weekend that will be descent there?
Jo

My daughter's family and I stopped back by at 4pm today, Saturday as we were winding up our 1500 mile driving tour of the New Mexico desert and 5 days of grand kids screaming "s/he touched me...!" :11:

There was no cleaning being done, the hole was open for diving, and Stella's compressor was running. It seemed that one cop I spoke with was guarding the equipment and the other had just stopped by to visit. From my discussion with them, I gathered the following which may or may not be correct...
(1) Altho The Hole was open for diving, most divers there were out at Perch Lake as the viz was bad.
(2) The Hole will be available for diving weekends as the hardhat divers will not be working weekends. I'm sure this is subject to change.
(3) The hardhat divers are working 90 minutes down, then jumping into the chamber. I found this challenging to believe, but - I dunno?
(3) The City Enforcement Officer was not there to sell permits. The cops confirmed that they could issue tickets for diving without permits anyway, but would not if no one was there to sell permits. I'm sure this is subject to change. I got my annual.

From one of the few divers there, I heard the viz is bad down to 30 ft, but okay below that. I guess OW classes would need to be at Perch, but many Aow dives could be done there.

The Men's privy was clean enough, but my daughter said the Ladies head was trashed. I don't anticipate we're going to get much help from the city on this, as from my conversations with the Manager, I think they'd insist on increasing fees to pay for anyone to clean them on weekends.

Here are a few pics from the top. You can see some recreational divers leaving the water, the mess in the front parking lot, and more mess to the side. Access is from the side parking lot between the fill shop and the heads...

D-D5-26.jpg

D-D5-27.jpg

D-D5-28.jpg

You always have great pics and information. Thanx Don!

Thanks for the update Don. I sure do wish that we could get some good/consistent info on when the hole was open and closed. Last week they were swearing that the hole would be closed this weekend. Anyone know if the vistors center is open on the weekends? Everytime I have called on a weekend I have gotten no answer, so I assumed they are closed?

Jason, The visitors center is closed on weekends. :( sorry.... you have to reach them during the week.
We are in hopes it will be open next weekend as we have our AOW dives to do down that direction. Does anyone know what conditions are like at Perch?

thanks so much! :D

Thanks for the update w/pics Don.

Guess I'll hold off on getting my new gear wet for a few more weeks...

Back
Top Bottom