Bradenton, Tampa, Venice???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N@rco$i$:
Cooltech, You sure those items weren't yours to begin with. I know your history for losing things like fins, etc. LOL :D

LOL,
The only place I've ever lost anything that stayed lost is Venice Beach.

I'm still down two masks, and now one snorkel.

And, plus one on knives... getting closer to even :14:

CoolTech:
I'm still down two masks, and now one snorkel....

Sounds like some more fatal cases of MOF!:D

frogman_5:
Sounds like some more fatal cases of MOF!:D

Mask in hand with crashing waves, and attempting to get the son setup. Lucky they weren't the good masks!

Any body know what conditions are like in Venice after the storm? I want to dive saturday the 17th....:D

Go early, before the winds start up. That's when you get the best viz. This morning (Bradenton area) no wind, water flat as a pancake!

CoolTech:
Mask in hand with crashing waves, and attempting to get the son setup. Lucky they weren't the good masks!

MIH??? Another affliction related to MOF?:D

CoolTech:
LOL,
The only place I've ever lost anything that stayed lost is Venice Beach.

I'm still down two masks, and now one snorkel.

And, plus one on knives... getting closer to even :14:

I have a friend that lost a knife there awhile back. Was it a titanium knife? Not sure of the brand, just know it was Ti.

Alright, I dont enjoy steppin on toes, but I will not recommend Sea Trek Divers to any scuba diver unless they need to rent a tank.
I have a problem with them because when I went to go see the regina the dive shop operator agreed to do discover scuba with my stepdad and sister, and take them to see the regina. Vis was low, wind/waves calm, and not a cloud in the sky. Hes does his intro to scuba crap, and ends up taking my sister, himself, stepdad, and myseelf around in oh prolly max 10 feet of water, and claims the regina wouldnt have been worth seeing at all because vis was poor. I should have grabed a snorkel and fins and just dove right on the thing looking back. BTW i paid for my rentals and the 'tour'. What did I get... well lets just say this expirience didnt make it into the logbook
Ive told this story to friends, they think, "what a jag off." I tell them how much it cost: you'd think my mother passed away. I didnt complain to the shop because at the time the sis and stepdad were very happy to go scuba diving. I thought it would be better just to let them enjoy it;although they thought something was wrong with me when I wasnt equally joyful.
Now, this was last Fall, and after my sister and stepdad went to mexico with their new OW cards they never forget to tell me how much they were displeased with the dive shop owners (it aint pretty). They ritually refer to that dive shop after pretty much every dive (EI "Well, it was no Sea Trek tour, but it'll do") I found them by internet and their web page was great and they boasted a 5 star PADI whatever that crap is, and I will agree with the sis on this one; that was not a cool move on Sea Treks behalf to say the least (biting my lip).
NTM we're from the midwest, the gulf's low vis is tolerable when ours is regularly 0-5tf max.
If you know these people and disagree with me, please tell Im wrong. The way I see it, we were taken. And believe me, I am being very gentle with my opinion right now because this is a public message.

I don't know exactly who took you into the water from Sea Trek, but I do know Pete squashed my dives several times due to weather, waves and vis. Pete is a big guy with a high voice. If you still spent the full tanks in the water, then I guess a refund is not really a practical option. I don't know their policy on a discover scuba either, never got one from them, or anyone. We do ours here in the midwest in a pool and it costs the person nothing. But a guided open water dive I would guess would have a cost. Since it was a discover scuba, he is completely responsible. So low vis and 2 divers that have zero experience, maybe he was not comfortable in that situation. It's his call, you have to respect that. This is all speculation on my part obviously, since I don't know what you told him your idea was, what his responce was and what his intentions were heading into the water.

I don't know what the full agreement was, what you saw on the dive and what all took place. My dealings with them, everything was up front on both sides and I went with their judgement on conditions, they live there and know the water better than me. I've tried 2 years in a row to dive the Regina, but weather usually kills it when I'm there. Winds from the west and waves.

And 5-10 ft vis in fresh water is fine, but in salt water there are other dangers. It's in close to shore that sharks feed, and when they can't see, they bump and bite. Not that this was his thinking, but something to think about.

Neh we got ripped off, he was being a lazy (pick one, or two). There's no excuse for that. It's just one of those lessons you have to learn from time to time. I should have never let it slide, but chose to keep quiet b/c it was a mellow vacation anyway.
uh... and sharks? I dont think the sharks are going to be swayed one way or the other about Pete with the high voice's scuba certifications, or our lack thereof.... maybe if it was a rebreather cert...
but in the rare shark attack event (did you just watch Jaws or something?), the only thing high voice Pete would be worried about is that he's the slowest swimmer out of the group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom