South Holland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hickdive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello,

I'm going on a family vacation to Holland. We'll be staying on the coast near Leiden at the end of July/beginning of August.

Does anyone have any recommendations for diving nearby (say within a 1 hour drive).

I'd be grateful for any advice

Thanks

Steve

I'd say Zeeland as well. It is by far the best place to dive in The Netherlands. There are roughly two "bodies of water" where you can go to: Grevelingen and Oosterschelde. Both are former sea arms now cut of from the sea by dikes. Oosterschelde still has tidal movement, so you can only dive there a few times a day. Grevelingen doesn't have tidal movement so you can dive there all day.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll look more closely at zeeland. Any idea what the water temperature is likely to be - is it worth bringing my drysuit?

I'm going to be there for two weeks from 28 July although I may pass on the Scottish Restaurant as I couldn't see haggis on the menu (with freezers haggis is no longer a seasonal treat and, thanks to genetic modification, they can now be bred with all legs the same length for farming on level ground):D

Hickdive:
I'll look more closely at zeeland. Any idea what the water temperature is likely to be - is it worth bringing my drysuit?
Approx. 17 - 20C

Hickdive:
I'm going to be there for two weeks from 28 July although I may pass on the Scottish Restaurant as I couldn't see haggis on the menu (with freezers haggis is no longer a seasonal treat and, thanks to genetic modification, they can now be bred with all legs the same length for farming on level ground):D
They have Haggis...

Just curious ... What would you expect to see in Zeeland in terms of aquatic life ? I've never considered Holland as a dive destination, but I do have family there that I have never visited. Being able to excape to do some decent diving may give me all the incentive that I need to finally go :) :)

Scuba Sweetie:
Just curious ... What would you expect to see in Zeeland in terms of aquatic life ? I've never considered Holland as a dive destination, but I do have family there that I have never visited. Being able to excape to do some decent diving may give me all the incentive that I need to finally go :) :)
http://www.anemoon.org/ (in Dutch of course). :)

Don't expect any big marine life. Mostly lobsters, crabs, sepia's and assorted small stuff.

So, when are you coming over? :D

Diving in Holland can be very adventurious for sure!

Forget the cold water, bite trough it, use the right gear and you can have a great dive! Hope you have fun there!

Make sure that you plan your dive there well and have a good buddy next to you. Currents can be strong in Zeeland so get some advice from the local dive shops. There are plenty!

You can also try the Vinkeveense Plassen. Nice dive sites there.

youriv:
Currents can be strong in Zeeland so get some advice from the local dive shops. There are plenty!
Only in the Oosterschelde, the Grevelingen has no currents.

Back
Top Bottom