Opinions needed: New diver in a pool without a buddy at the bottom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay -- a seizure or medical event could always happen, but that's why I said the swimmer (or poolside person) is monitoring. Bubbles stop, or you start having a tonic-clonic seizure -- somebody goes after you. Do a bad entry and whack your head, the person monitoring you is going to see that.

And if you are so overweighted that you can't swim up the sloped bottom of a 12 foot swimming pool, somebody really doesn't like you. I mean, even I can hold my breath long enough to get to water shallow enough to stand up in in an Olympic sized pool.

Is any immersion in water utterly and totally safe? No. But at some point, you have to get realistic. I don't think you have to have somebody on scuba in a pool with you every time you get in. I think it's probably a good idea to have somebody monitoring you, but I'll admit I've solo-dived in my backyard pool because I think the risks of doing so are probably smaller than the risk of driving to the pool the LDS uses . . .

TSandM:
OK -- What's going to happen? Take a deep breath and kick -- you'll go to the surface.

Yikes, Careful there, that’s one great way to get some lung damage or embolism. He did say 12 feet deep. Never take a big breath and kick to the top. It only takes a few feet to do damage. Blow bubbles all the way up. First Rule!

TSandM, I know you meant different but a new diver may interpret that wrong.

I would feel totally comfortable in a pool by myself but if you have to ask then you are obviously not comfortable yet and having a buddy is a really good idea. Most dive schools I know allow you to com back and "Play" in the pool for refreshers. Take advantage of that if they offer it.

Just my 2 psi

Maybe one should ask: Should I get out of bed in the morning? Might I get killed, raped or innoculated with a deadly pathogen? Might I receive UV radiation from the sun?

it goes a bit far to think you can't do it. There is risk everywhere around you, all the time. SCUBA diving is very safe. Although the ethical response would be not to do it without supervision, I would say, if you feel confident enough to do it then do it. You are not endangering anyone but yourself right? Except maybe for the person trying to save you when it goes wrong...

shark.byte.usa:
Just do it, don't overanalyze everything, I go hop in my pool all the time, especially when new gear arrives :D; only one watching me is the dog. If you arent' a complete moron, I think you manage to survive. I can go to my LDS and use their pool; buddy free, what's the difference?
Agree with you 100% :thumb:

I've got some new gear getting here next Tuesday, I'll be in the pool solo about five minutes after the UPS truck leaves. :D

thinking about going to the pool right now and practicing a few things,without any other divers,i usually like to have someone keep a eye on me.i tell them if the bubbles stop there is a problem drag me out and call help,havent had any problems in 26 years yet.

OMFG!!!! ITS A POOL!!!!! I am fairly new around the boards and don't want to ruffle feathers..

Oh hell who cares... ITS A POOL!!!!!

People need to relax....

<going to make some soup now and hoping I dont kill myself with the can opener>

Maybe I shouldn't do that solo....

TSandM:
I think it's probably a good idea to have somebody monitoring you, but I'll admit I've solo-dived in my backyard pool because I think the risks of doing so are probably smaller than the risk of driving to the pool the LDS uses . . .
Oh no! Solo diving. Next thing, you'll be telling us that you've rejected the "air is for tires" DIR mantra and were using AIR!

Kidding aside, I do agree with the philosophy of just having someone watching that can assist you if needed.

Just as you compare the risk of solo pool dive to the risk of driving to the LDS pool, one can also compare the risk of hopping in the pool to improve skills vs. NOT doing the training, but through lack of practice, having a higher probability of an accident on a real dive.

These sort of tradeoffs can be resolved by applying a bit of judgement and common sense.

The obvious pat answer is no, do not do it.

In reality it is a risk assesment. Your skills and comfort, the maturity and watermaship of your spotter and what you plan to do down there.

If you are going to play with weights hover and do fin pivots and are comfortable diving with peers then I'd be inclined to do it.

At the end of a shore dive when we are back in 6-8 feet of water we often split up to mellow out critter gazing and burn off a few more PSI before getting out, this isn't all that different overall.

Unless you are very capable I'd avoid anything that may interrupt your air supply, gear R&R, playing with ropes that may foul you etc. Also make sure nobody will be diving in on top of you, it needs to be a controlled situation.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom