• Male: crushed neoprene

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Male: tri- or bi-laminate

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • Male: doesn't matter, each have their +'s and -'s

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BEM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Still looking to buy drysuits after many years!!!! Seems like there may be a preference difference, between male and female divers regarding neoprene and shell (laminate).

SO far I've been told, read or heard:

neoprene (crushed) suits:
fit better "non-normal" bodies better;
crushed neoprene is a good compromise between shell and 7mm neoprene;
heavier than shell suits, when wet;
have fewer folds and wringles;
higher insulation value than shells;

shell suits:
require less weighting;
easier to get on and off;
travel lighter - dry faster;
more folds - less streamlined;
require different undergarments for different water temp;
easy to repair small holes;

I didn't add 7mm neoprene or vulcanized/rubber suits, and am sure I missed lots of facts. I'm leaning toward a Bare crushed neoprene and my wife - Bare HD Trilam.

Many divers here wear drysuits. I see the occasional crushed neoprene, but nearly all shell suits.

The buoyancy changes that can occur with crushed Neoprene tend to steer me away from them, as well as their tendency to dry slowly after use. They also seem more difficult to don and doff, and there seems to be little price advantage.

The shell suit has not buoyancy issue, the variety of undergarments available is nice, and in general they seem more flexible in terms of configuration. I can have extra material added or removed in certain areas of the suit, have a pee-valve installed, and do different things.

The people I know with Neoprene suits tend to like them though, for what that's worth.

I do have a drysuit, but it's DUI FLX50/50 (1/2 is crushed neopene, other 1/2 is TLS). If I would go back and buy my first drysuit, I would have go to get TLS350 for easier don/doff and dries quicker. My FLX50/50 is too hot for where I live.

I own a trilam suit which I've been diving for the past year, but I just ordered a compressed neoprene suit for the additional insulating value. Cold is the limiting factor on most of my dives.

I have a DUI crushed suit, a Polaris 7mm Rubatex GN-231N Suit and a Viking. Each has its advantages and drawbacks. Frankly, for fun diving, I usually wind up using the Polaris.

Well I've tried neoprene and I've tried bag suits and it's no question at all for me. A bag suit! But I have yet to try crushed neoprene. I imagine I'd only be happy in the hyper-compressed 2mm stuff, though. I just don't like the bulk of neoprene, even at 4mm.

PerroneFord:
Many divers here wear drysuits. I see the occasional crushed neoprene, but nearly all shell suits.

The buoyancy changes that can occur with crushed Neoprene tend to steer me away from them, as well as their tendency to dry slowly after use. They also seem more difficult to don and doff, and there seems to be little price advantage.

The shell suit has not buoyancy issue, the variety of undergarments available is nice, and in general they seem more flexible in terms of configuration. I can have extra material added or removed in certain areas of the suit, have a pee-valve installed, and do different things.

The people I know with Neoprene suits tend to like them though, for what that's worth.

What sort of buoyancy changes are you talking about with crushed neoprene?

Crushed neoprene suits are also more puncture and tear resistant, making them more durable compared to bitri-laminate suits. That said, I own a DUI TLS350 tri-laminate suit ... which is just fine for So Cal water temps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom