Corrective Vision Inserts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StoneyJ

Registered
Reaction score
I wear reading glasses with a diopter of about +2. My mask doesn't have any corrective lenses so I can barely make out the readings on my watch and SPG. Was curious to learn from others what they did with respect to having corrective lenses or inserts. Any recommendations? My distance vision is ok...just the tiny dials on SPG and other items up close. :06:

p.s. edit: having just hit the send key I noted a related thread.

I tried some spot magnifiers that fit like bifocal, but ended up with prescription ground mask with bifocal for close work. I bought a Seavision 2000 with the light gathering yellow lens, excellent. Since my wife liked her Cressi mask, she sent it to Seavision and had the same type lenses installed. Call first and ask if your model mask could have prescription lens installed. I liked the ground lenses much better than my prviously glued in corrective ones.

Hi Stoney, I purchased the bifocal type lenses from my dive shop. They are easy to install and will not damage you glass/plastic in your mask. Wet them with water and place them in the mask where you think they will best work for you. I put them all the way on the bottom. The great part is you can take them off and use them in another mask if you wish.

My distance vision is fine, just can't read anything close and my arms
are not long enough. Sound familiar???:05:

Good Luck

J

Stoney, Found a scuba optics +3.00 power Magni-View lens in my stuff bought but never used box. If interested PM an address and I'll drop it in mail. This is a spot magnifier you install in bottom corner of mask, not a true bi-focal.

H2Odyssy has a mask available (alpha2) that has bifocal lenses. Works great.

I'm in the same boat and ended up with a Seavision mask. I haven't actually gotten it wet yet but wearing it around the house it seems to do the job.

I have had masks with guage readers, and in my opinion, they all are worthless if they are glued on.

Seems the glass ones glued on form a horizontal ridge that water collects on, and when the water is on its way to being collected, there is a horizontal view obstruction associated with the ledge.

I have a mask now where the gauge readers are molded into the lower portion of the lens so there is no step and no area of visual impariment.

I too was/am in the same boat. I sent both my masks to www.prescriptiondivemasks.com in San Diego. I trie the stick on type first with no luck. They will bond the readers (optical quality) on and they will not come off. Check their website and it gives you all the details. I highly recommend them.

Stoney,

We have for the Mares XVision mask positive lenses up to +3. These lenses are "bifocal type" and can easily be placed into the mask by your LDS. Sounds like it would require purchasing a new mask plus the lenses so I don't know if that is an option for you. Otherwise what the others have posted are options as well. You could have lenses custom ground to your prescription for the mask you own, if it will accomodate lens replacement. Your LDS should have all of these answers though.

Anyway there are many options, it just boils down to how much you want to spend. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom