Just come back from Mulegé, BCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cpmwi

New
Reaction score
Hello folks -

I just came back from 3 days of diving with Cortez Explorers - They are under new ownership and the main guy there, Mick, is an ex-squaddie and that is how he runs the operation - excellent service and to the point.

The viz was not so good while I was there, Mick said that the viz improves over the next several weeks, as the water temp kills off the plankton - However the life in the water was amazing compared to the bahamas where I had dived over christmas.

anyway, i thought i would share - do people offer any ideas of other locations in baja to dive - The whole area seems a blast!

If anyone is interested in diving in Mulegé i think they have just put up a new website: http://www.cortez-explorers.com.

Happy diving!
Lizzie B.

Thanks for the tip, Lizzie; somehow I overlooked your post until now. How did you get there? According to the driving map, Mulege seems to be about two-thirds down on the Baja peninsula, which is to say, miles from not much. The Cortez Explorer website offers airline transfers "in the Mulege area", but what airports are around there?

Do you have any dive reports, like temp and viz? What critters did you see? Marine life underwater and the laid-back life above water is what draws me to Baja Cal. I'm especially interested in off-the-beaten-track places, and Mulege seems just that.

Since Mick's a squaddie ("military veteran" for us Yanks, like our term "grunt"), does one have to roll out of a small, hard bed at dawn and stand-to?:shout:

And last but not least, how did you get the correct accent mark to show up here on Scubaboard?

is it international font setting maybe? Like my title is in Japanese. :chinese:

I think am :wink:

I flew in from San Diego to Loreto, then hired a car North.

I have friends who drove south from the border, it is about 650 miles and about 12 hours. The drive is meant to be amazing. I am planning on driving down myself in september I think.

I'm a 7 dive diver, but a 500/hr. pilot and have flown to Mulege a bunch of times. I can't believe it's such a dive spot that I've missed all this time!!

What are the best times to get down there and dive? Summer is EXTREMELY hot, but that's when the fishermen go down there.

I'd be happy to advise divers on where to stay, eat and wander in exchange for dive info!

Thanks Hannah! That is very nice of you to say so.

Winesmile, we are starting to get better and better viz as the water temp rises, killing off the plankton blooms. Currently we are at about 50 or 60 feet, seeing Jacks by the dozen as well as the usual suspects (cortez angels, grunts, octopus, etc.). We cater to many flyers who stay at the serenidad, I am happy to say we have a great relationship with them.

Any further info, just ask...

-Mick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom