Backplate, wings, etc. vs knighthawk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

menc44

Registered
Reaction score
I am fairly new to scuba and to sb. I have been looking into buying my own gear and as of now have come up with a Scubapro knighthawk w/ AIRII, MK25 first stage and an s600 second and a smartcom computer. First question, is that a decent setup?

Second question is that I have seen a lot and heard a lot about backplates and wings, maybe for more tech diving.. Can anyone tell me about them? I plan to continue with scuba for a long time and probably get more technical and into rescue, being I am a 22 year old firefighter. Is it worth going to a backplate instead of the knighthawk? Any information would be great. Thanks

All over SB mostly. As I have been looking for information about gear, they seem to be popular. I also know of a few people I have been diving with looking into them

I've just switched over from a KnightHawk to a BP/W. It was an easy transition, since the NightHawk is back inflate. However, if you are looking to buy a new Knighthawk, you could get a really nice BP/W with some shekels left over.

The biggest advantage of a BP/W over a BCD, is that the BP is totally customizable to your style. A KnightHawk is a really great BC and I liked it while diving it!

It really depends on your future plans. If you plan on working to tech diving, then I'd recommend a BP/W. You'd already be familiar with the equipment config. If you aren't sure, you can always take NAUI Intro to Tech Diving with your rec equipment, to test the waters....If you don't think it's for you, then you still have gained some great skills, and you really aren't out a lot of bucks.

Personally, it didn't impair me at all with a BC. Not to mention when you swing to the tech side, be ready to part with your cash!! The rest of your setup are some solid choices.

Just depends on your goals.

Good luck!

menc44:
I am fairly new to scuba and to sb. I have been looking into buying my own gear and as of now have come up with a Scubapro knighthawk w/ AIRII, MK25 first stage and an s600 second and a smartcom computer. First question, is that a decent setup?

Second question is that I have seen a lot and heard a lot about backplates and wings, maybe for more tech diving.. Can anyone tell me about them? I plan to continue with scuba for a long time and probably get more technical and into rescue, being I am a 22 year old firefighter. Is it worth going to a backplate instead of the knighthawk? Any information would be great. Thanks

When/if you make the transition to the technical arena you'll want the BP/W without the Air2 (instead you'll want a normal ol' 2nd stage, not that you cannot use the Air2 it's just not optimal)

If you have lot's of cash to throw away it doesn't matter. If you want to save some dough for some trips/other equipment. Do the BP/W upfront with a normal ol' backup reg that can be put on a necklace. Do it now and you'll not have stuff you won't use much in the future.

The stuff you're looking at is without question good stuff, just probably not ideally suited for what I hear you saying you probably wish to do down the road. Get the stuff that will grow with you so the money you spend later will not be spent replacing things only adding to the configuration you already have.

Hope that made some sense.

Waynne Fowler

Nothing wrong with the Knighthawk, but if I were in your shoes I would go for the BP&W. If you really think you will get in to more techincal diving, save yourself some time and money and get the backplate up front.

The knighthawk is a great BC. I know a couple of people who love them. Hopefully I will get a chance to try out a friend's this summer.

That being said, I don't believe that this BC can be configured for doubles. If you are planning on tech diving, you will most likely end up needing a system that can support two tanks. A backplate and wings can do this.

If you shop around, you can find this sort of setup for less $ than a knighthawk anyway. Try hammerhead scuba for a backplate with single tank adapter for around 100.00. Scubatoys has oxycheq wings in 30 or 45 lb lift for less than 300.00 They may also have tank bands for cheap. Also, if you choose a stainless backplate, that is more weight that you can get off your belt.

If you consider yourself a GEARHEAD you'll probably love a bp/w. Nothing negative intended by the use of GEARHEAD either.

I'm an audiophyle and I can sit in front of my HT and adjust red balance all night and be perfectly happy. I can sit there and adjust the frequency response of the rear center channel for hours and I love it. It's a hobby.

That's like being a Gearhead to me.

If you want to throw on a solid, comfortable, fully featured BCD and jump in for the recreactional diving pleasure of it, then you might be better off looking elswhere. No offense to those technical divers who do not use a bp/w either.

Be cautious of comments about a bp/w costing less than a Knighthawk and being customizable for your diving style to boot. Customizable yes, but you may end up with more than 1 of everything. Customization carries a price.

Great question as I have the Mk25 & S600 (and It works great for me), but haven't yet taken the plunge on a BC. I was eying the Knighthawk, but 1/3 of the boat last Wednesday was using the Backplate (including my Buddy) set up.

The BP has straps going everywhere and does require dragging a weight belt around.
The Nighthawk is pricey and the weights are "difficult" to release in an emergency.

Not to split the question, but is there another BC option we should be looking at if we do got the standard BC set up??

menc44:

The scubapro set up is very good and you'll probably be happy with it for years to come. To look around this website you'd think that everyone that's anyone dives a BP&W but they are in the minority. Just a bit vocal is all. The MK25 is a great reg but I wouldn't use it in cold waters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom